1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search function not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Reece4183, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reece4183

Reece4183 Thread Starter

Hello to everybody.

XP home user.
    My "Search" fonction does not start. I used it without problems for months but when asked I get now only the first window with the dog and nothing else.
    When I click ctrl + Alt + Suppr I get: "Search not responding".
    I tried to set the system to several previous restore points: No result!!!

Thank you for any help.

Reece

2. rude

rude

Start/Run Type: regedit ok
    Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind

If "NoFind" has the value "01 00 00 00" change it to "00 00 00 00"
    Restart
    Hope this works for you.

3. Reece4183

Reece4183 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thank you again, I went to "Not fond as you mentioned and I got:
    Not find REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)

Sorry but I am stuck

any other idea?

Merci

reece

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try going to the Windows\Inf folder and finding srchasst.inf (or similar--I am not on an XP machine right now). Right-click it and choose "Install".

5. Reece4183

Reece4183 Thread Starter

Thank you Elvandil.

I did what you recommand , got 2 files under srchasst: CHARS and MUI plus 1 lex file called NLS302N.lex and 3 dll: srchctls, msgren and srchui

when I click (Right) on any of them I do not get any "Install" ??

Any other idea?

reece

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You will need to show hidden files in Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab.

I doubt if XP's search function will find that file. You will need to open Windows (or Winnt) and look for the Inf folder.

7. Reece4183

Reece4183 Thread Starter

Thanks again,
    I went to the folder option, view tab. I did not see which box to click or what to do, dorry,

reece

8. mike5532g

mike5532g

In folder options>view tab>under advanced settings, look for hidden files and folders and select show hidden files and folders. You may also need to uncheck hide extensions for known file types and click ok.

Start, run and type in the open box inf and click ok. As per Elvandil's instructions, find srchasst.inf, right click it and select install.

9. Reece4183

Reece4183 Thread Starter

Hello and thank you again,

I followed your instructions but I got a new problem (Sorry)
    When I got to installed, I am asked to use 'msgr3en.dll' and get it on my "service pack.
    I looked for all the CD I have from DELL and did not find this pack.
    So I went to Internet and loaded the dll, I typed the right path BUT
    When tried again I got: Cannot copy Srchctls.dll
    I check, the dll I copied is called msgr3en and not Srchctls I feel silly and useless...

Reece

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you want a searcher until we fix this, try Agent Ransack. It is actually a faster and better searcher than the Windows one and you may prefer it. I know I do. Registration is optional--it is completely free.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download

-----------------------
    When you reinstall the Search Assistant, it will need files from your XP installation. At least one of your CD's may have the installation on it and you can direct the installer to that when needing files. If they are on your CD, they will be compacted and have names such as: Srchctls.dl_ (with the last character an underscore).

11. Reece4183

Reece4183 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help, I will unload Agent randsack and try later to fix the "Search companion".
    Once again Thank you

Reece

12. justfoo

justfoo

Just wanted to note and say thank you, this seems like an excellent program and not nearly such a pain in the kiester as the Win Xp search assistant!
    Thanks again. (y)

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome. I got tired of fixing the Search Assistant and constantly doing registry edits to expand its capabilities. AR is definitely faster and searches more thoroughly. If you have a number of searches to do, keep it open. The original search is cached and subsequent searches are lightning fast.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!