1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Search Program" from Access or other?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rwnewson, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rwnewson

rwnewson Thread Starter

Hey guys. I have a question about databases/lists to which the solution is hopefully simple.

I have a list of data in 3 columns that I can import in Excel or Access. In other words, I have many records with 3 fields each. Now I want to be able to "search" a field of all the data for a particular phrase. For example I want to see a list of all the records that have "hello" somewhere in column B. I know this is basically the "filter" command but I find it to be quite awkward. I want a simple easy way to just search for "hello" in column B and click "search" and see the list... Nothing fancy.

I don't know Access too well but is there a way to do it there? Maybe make some sort of form or query or report or something? Maybe if you pointed me in the right direction I could read the help files on that and figure it out. Is there a template for this anywhere?

What about a third-party software that could do this? Just import a list of data and then you can search it as you please. Any ideas? I'd REALLY appreciate your help!!

2. OBP

OBP

Ryan, this is very simple in both Excel and Access, in Excel you can just use the Edit>Find to search for the "hello".
    If you record a macro of yourself doing this then you can call it up at any time later using a Short Cut key.
    In Access you just need to set up a Query with "hello" in Column "B"s "Criteria Row", this can then be run at any time in the future.
    If you have more than one phrase to search for, or more than one column to search, then I would suggest an Access Query and Form, where the Search data is entered in the form and the query uses that for it's Criteria Row.

3. rwnewson

rwnewson Thread Starter

Yay! It took me a little while to figure out how to use "Forms" and "Queries" in Access but I finally got it up and running. Thanks a lot for your help! I know it sounded like an easy question but I never used Access before, and I needed more than Excel's "find" function. Thanks again.

4. rwnewson

rwnewson Thread Starter

Oh... but one more little question... I can't seem to find a particular function in Access. I want to make a new field, and in that field compute the "size" or "length" of another field. In other words, get the number of characters. Would it be worded like =size([Column A]) I want size("hello") = 5 Any ideas?

5. OBP

OBP

If the field is a text field you can use =len([field name]) in an unbound field, where [field name] is the name of the field you want to know the length of.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice