1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search window keeps popping up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by claza, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. claza

claza Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently my Windows has been going nuts and occasionally popping up tons of blank search windows in which if I close them, they repop over and over again, it's driving me nuts. As this is going on, I can't tab to other applications, and I can't type - my keyboard is completely messed up and every time I try typing, it highlights the character and erases it as soon as I type the next character. Not really sure what to do but bang my head on the keyboard.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. claza

claza Thread Starter

I've done both the quick scan and the full scan, none of them found anything infected.

Is there anything I can do?

4. antech

antech Banned

Consider runnin' a Quick scan with SAS.
    (Download link in my sign)

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

6. claza

claza Thread Starter

I've done a quick scan with SAS and all its found are tracking cookies.

I've noticed one more thing about this - my keyboard is constantly moving from my original typing space (example - reply box) to the search function at the top right of my browser. I am using Firefox at the moment, and when the search window pops up, it does the same thing.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Does this only act up when using a browser?

8. claza

claza Thread Starter

I suppose so - Firefox and Windows Explorer. It always just pops to the search function and I can't type a thing because it keeps erasing it. Sometimes the search window pops up 5 times at once...but that's irrelevant I think. Also, whenever the search windows pops up, it's always on top of all my applications - it won't let me alt-tab out - even the task manager doesn't stay on top. I think it is because the keyboard is always jumping back to the search function of the window.

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Laptop or Desktop?

Maybe you have a keyboard gone wonky.

10. claza

claza Thread Starter

I'm using an HP laptop.

I'm starting to think that, too. I think I'll look for a replacement keyboard.

11. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Sometimes on a laptop you can inadvertently touch the touchpad when using the keyboard, just a thought.

Turn off the touchpad, see if the behavior continues.

12. claza

claza Thread Starter

I don't use my touchpad. The left click button has been broken for a long time now, so I always use a USB mouse.

13. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Try disabling it.

14. claza

claza Thread Starter

The touchpad is disabled. It is always disabled. I also just attempted system restore, and that doesn't work.

15. claza

claza Thread Starter

Well I've concluded it's not my keyboard. I took my laptop apart and unplugged the thing and the search windows are still popping up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice