1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SearchIndexer.exe stealing focus

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mattaton, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattaton

Mattaton Thread Starter

The past few months I have found my active program losing focus to SOMETHING. I have traced the problem to the Windows search indexer.

I'm using process explorer to monitor tasks using the most CPU. Every couple minutes, SearchIndexer.exe (along with a couple support exes like wermgr.exe, SearchProtocolHost.exe, and SearchFilterHost.exe) pops to the top of the task list, my current window loses focus, for 5 seconds or so, SearchIndexer.exe goes away and my program returns to normal.
    If I disable the service, the problem goes away. But then Outlook 2010 is always complaining about the service not running. Ugh.

The question...WHY?! I've never seen a computer do this before.

Any help would be appreciated!

Matt

2. Mattaton

Mattaton Thread Starter

Ah...some further light on the subject.
    Looking at the system event log, The Windows Search service has terminated unexpectedly 180 times today (and counting) and restarted only to bomb again. Each of the errors say that they will restart the service in 30 seconds. That explains the focus issue, but not the reason why the indexer is crashing out over and over.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice