1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Searching data between sheets

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DanRJFrost, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanRJFrost

DanRJFrost Thread Starter

Hi,

I think what I need to do is a vlookup but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have an edited set of data in one worksheet and a more detailed version of the same data in a second worksheet. I need to add a column into the first sheet and populate it with information from the second sheet which corresponds to the reference number. I have mocked up a sample sheet to demonstrate.

Daniel

Attached Files:

2. CodeLexicon

CodeLexicon

=VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$D$10,4,FALSE)

would be the formula in Sheet1 column D, which you can then drag down

$A2 is the reference you are looking up in the second sheet

Sheet2!$A$2:$D$10 is the range containing the data - you can extend this range, but you would always need to match the $A2 reference in the first column of the range. Clearly if your sheet 2 is going to contain more than 10 rows of data you would need to alter $D$10 to a different row number.

4 is the column you are returning data from

FALSE - the data is not in an ordered list

Hope this gets you started. Once you get the hang of vlookup, you'll find it an invaluable tool.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1110798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice