1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Searching for folders within folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grandpaw7, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I have XP and I use MS Works. In My Documents I have a folder entitled File Folders containing the names I have given to various folders in my file drawer. If I open it, it gives me a list of those folders, using the names I assigned to them when created and saved them in MS Works.

I wonder what I can do so that if I am wondering if I a have a folder in the file drawer with a certain name, I can go to Search, type in that name and have the search engine tell me if there is such a folder?

For example, just how I could not recall if I had a folder in the file drawer with the name Hearing. So I went to XP search and typed the word hearing in the files and folders blank. But it came up finding nothing. I then opened the File Folders folder in My Documents, got the list of folders there, and found that I do have a folder entitled Hearing.

I thought that when I had Windows 98 I could use the search engine there to find out the above information, though maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I know that I can just open the folder called File Folders which I have in My Documents, get the list of folders it provides, and see if there is one with the word Hearing in it. But it would be more convenient for me to be able to use the search mechanism.

At any rate, is there a program I can get which will do the above kind of search for me?

Thanks, grandpaw7

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Sure that should work.
    As long as you are searching at some point at where your "hearing" folder appears, or you are searching from some directory point "above" where "hearing" appears
    AND you have "Search subfolders" turned on,
    AND you have "Case sensitive" turned off.

Searching for a file or folder of a single word, for example hearing, will, by default, do a wildcard search, as if you had entered *hearing*
    If you enter any wildcard characters then the search will only follow per your example.
    In other words, if you try a wildcard, the automatic *wildcarding* is not done.
    So you better know what you are doing.

If you enter *hearing it will search for only files or folders with "hearing" on the end of the name.
    If you enter hearing* it will search for only files or folders with "hearing" on the beginning of the name.
    The default (not using any wildcards) is generally the better of what to do.

There are other tools that actually do a better, more feature rich, search, for example "Agent Ransack."

3. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

ChurckT, the search program is working fine. It turns out that what I hadn't created a file on my computer named "hearing". I keep a bunch of files in a file cabinet and then have them listed on a document on my computer entitled File Folders. Since "hearing" is not a computer file, naturally Search couldn't find it.

I did check to make sure that I have searching for subfolders enabled and case sensitive turned off.

While the Search program does search IE Favorites, I guess it just doesn't do that for Firefox Bookmarks. If there is some way to get it to do that search, please let me know.

Thank you again. grandpaw7

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

The IE favorites is a folder of links, and using Windows Explorer, can be searched for some part of the link name (the title) or for some part of the URL address.

(press Win+R, type favorites, click OK; press Ctrl+F,
    enter in the “All or part of the file name” field some part of the favorite title (best NOT enter more than one word) and click [Search]; or
    enter in the “A word or phrase in the file” field some part of the URL (best NOT to enter more than just a few characters or a single known word used in the address, do NOT use any spaces) and click [Search])

I do not use FireFox, and I do not know how they keep their bookmarks.
    I remember how Netscape used to keep their bookmarks (I don't know if they still they do it the same way) by keeping an HTML page of hotlinks on it.
    With that hotlink page open you could search the page by opening it and pressing Ctrl+F

Hope that helps, but you really ought to get a more definitive answer from a FireFox user.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice