1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Searching for Optimal Viewing for DVDs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Mr. Freeman, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr. Freeman

Mr. Freeman Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I'd like to change my computer's video settings to have the optimum viewing for my DVDs. DVDs played on my computer don't look as good as they can, not even close to TV quality; and I know this for a fact so I'd like to change whatever settings I have to change to make that possible. I usually use WMP but I have nearly every other media player installed (i.e. Winamp, RealPlayer, the ATI Multimedia Center, my computer's CyberLink PowerDVD). Here are my computer's specifications:

My System Specifications
    Processor Intel Pentium 4 2608MHz
    Display Card ATI RADEON 9600 Series
    Memory 512MB
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
    Free Disk Space 79.44GB
    Display Card Memory 128MB
    Display Driver Version 6.14.10.6587
    DirectX Version 9.0c
    Optical Drive CD/DVD
    Sound Card Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit

You can find detailed specifications in my signature or here: http://www.powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml?selection=8922.

I've updated all drivers. Thanks in advance!

2. bigwilli920

bigwilli920

Ur settings are nearly the same as mine, and I have the exact same video card and sound card. First of all i would start by using a regular dvd program instead of ne media programs, they dont make for quality video, i recomend WinDVD or Interactive, both work well for me on my computers. But other than the program u may want to try just adjusting contrast and stuff on ur monitor or maybe resolution. I watch tons of DVDs on my computer and they are pretty good quality. I hope i have been of some help and if u need help aquiring these programs or ne specific questions about my info, just email me at [email protected] and i would be more than happy to assist you.

3. bigwilli920

bigwilli920

Forgot to mention that if none of these seem to help you out, it could just be the quality of your monitor... but otherwise i dont think there is much more u can do

4. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

I looked at DVD's on the DVDplayer windows gives you and then I tried this:
    http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_1_ENU.html
    The improvment in color and clarity was fantastic on my 19in NEC f97.. The colors really popped out and the picture really cleared up and was more detailed. You get a free 30 day trial.. Try it and see for yourself.. If theres no difference on your monitor, then you've lost nothing with a free trail..
    http://www.pixpond.com/1/dshtm.JPG

5. Mr. Freeman

Hi. Thank you for posting. I apologize for taking a while to post back but classes began again.

Will, would you say that the quality of DVD playback on your computer is equal to that of your TV?

Kid, I have Cyberlink PowerDVD; it came with my DVD-ROM. I never bothered to use it because it's not very friendly but will try to figure it out.

6. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Yes, with the Cyberlink 6.0 link I gave above it's a great picture..I know what your saying about the Cyberlink Power DVD that comes installed standard when you buy your puter..
    The 6.0 version is far better..and very EZ to play. (y) Like I said, try the free version and pop in your favorite DVD movie.. Nothing to lose. It's free for 30 days..

7. Mr. Freeman

To be more specific about the quality of my DVD playback, the image looks grainy and at times jaggy. I know my computer can do better than this because I've seen smooth playback come from it before; no jaggies or grains.

Kid, thank you for the suggestion again.

8. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Your welcome and if you download the full free version of DVD 6, post back and let me know how it went...
    because my party is over http://www.pixpond.com/1/4hptx2.jpg ;O/

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

Qaulity is going to be highly dependent on the monitor as well. Televisions are typically better quality than either CRTs or Flat Panels.

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Sounds like a de-interlacing problem.

look here:
    http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/interlace-test.htm
    Do any of the pictures look familiar?

If so, check your player for de-interlacing options. Try each of them and stick with the best.

This isn't true at all, in fact it's the reverse. It may be true on some flat panel monitors, due to the response rate, but it's definately not true for CRT's. I do recommend that you set your monitor to a common resolution, such as 1024X768, or 800X600, and set the refresh rate up as high as you can to avoid flicker.

You might even get better playback if you set you monitor for the same resolution as the DVD media, what resolution the DVD may differ depending on whether it's PAL, NTSC, or Film. I'll attempt to explain why:

It's really impossible to display video without distortion in any other resolution than the resolution that the media is in, this is because when you downscale video, you lose some of the information in the media. If you upscale, you don't have enough information to fill the increased resolution. Progressive scan conversion can synthesize but cannot recover details missed because the source was not progressively scanned originally, its main purpose is to reduce flicker by repainting the picture on the screen faster. Redoubling, as a quadrupler might do, can synthesize but cannot recover details that scanning the source originally at that faster scan rate right may have recorded. This just repeats each scan line to fill the tiny gaps between scan lines, and/or blends adjacent scan lines to reduce jagged edges.

PowerDVD, and other popular players, include technology to upscale playback, filter out the jaggies, etc. I would expect, much better than WMP could.

I do agree with Mulder on this. How well the monitor is calibrated for color, contrast, gamma and the resolution, refresh rate used, and the monitor's distortion all is going to make a difference. Not all monitors offer decent calibration, decent color calibration, response, etc.

There are several freeware programs available to aid in calibrating a monitor. I recommend you try some. You should also be aware that not all people see color the same way, so when you go to calibrate your monitor, invite a couple of people to aid you.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice