1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Searching for registry entries with certain word in it

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by tommo020788, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommo020788

tommo020788 Thread Starter

Hi, I made a batch file that allows me to scan through a drive, or directory, and its sub-directories for any files with a word in it that I specify, and it automatically deletes any files with the word I specify in its name.

I'm wondering though, if there is a way to achieve a similar result with registry entries...

Is there a way achievable through a batch file, to search through the windows registry on the computer for registry entries with a specified word in it, and delete it automatically?

I'd use this to clear software off the computer that had not uninstalled properly, or even to remove certain spyware or virus entries, just like I would with the file search batch file.

If you want to know what the batch I made is like, here is the code for it. I simply either search for an exact file name, or I type a word with ** sign's around it to search for files with the word in it:
    Code:
    TITLE "File-Scan-Kill"
    Echo: "This will delete all files with the name you specify, from all subdirectories. Run this program from the C: root directory for best results." 
    set /p FN= Type the name of the file, including the file extention (example~ file.exe):
    >>log.txt DEL /s /F \%FN%
    Any Ideas? :rolleyes:

p.s. It would be beneficial if the batch file to search and delete registry entries, had the capability to back up each entry it deletes too, before deleting them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice