1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second Compaq Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seurat01, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seurat01

seurat01 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 5000. I would like to add a second hard drive. There is an available 3.5" drive bay available, but the hard drive will not fit into the metal sleeve that is installed in the drive bay. I don't have a large bay available, and I would need some sort of an adapter to go that route, in any case. The 3.5" drive bay is exactly where I need it to access the drive cables, etc., so I would much prefer to do it that way, if possible.

I've checked with HP/Compaq and Radio Shack and it appears that this is just the way it is. The Radio Shack service center suggested that I rig the drive in as best (using ties!) as I can while the Compaq service person was under the impression that the metal cage holding the primary hard drive had enough room to handle a second drive (not that I can see).

It doesn't make sense to me that this problem would not have been widely encountered and resolved. Does anyone know, for example, of a modified bay sleeve that I can purchase? Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Are you looking at the bay from the outside or actually with the cover off?? I'm not at all familiar with the Presario but you MAY be able to remove the whole "sleeve" from the actual mounting brackets; then again maybe not....just a thought

3. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

hows about putting in one of those removeable hard drive brackets

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice