1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

second drive not showing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pavlos, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pavlos

pavlos Thread Starter

Plugged a usb memory stick into my computer whilst it was still on the bios screen, It hung on the bios and eventually carried on but when it had booted windows 7 it wasn't showing the second drive, it was working perfectly yesterday no matter what I try I can get it to read the second drive. it does not show up anywhere not in the bios, not in the disk management, is it corrupted and is it retrievable.??

2. TekTime

TekTime

Can you provide a little more detail? What is the make/model of your computer?

3. Bernardo

Bernardo

Have you since unplugged the USB device? Restarted?

4. pavlos

pavlos Thread Starter

I'm using an AMD 5700 dual core processor 64 bit with geforce 9600 gt 512mb graphics, and 2gigs of OCZ platinum ram and all on an abit k9 series AM2 socket motherboard.
    does that help.

And Bernardo, yes I unpluged the usb device when I realised it could be the reason for the other drive not showing, but I'm not sure if it is, I've restarted several times since and had no luck in the drive being seen. it would be an odd coincidence if the usb doesn't have anything to do with it

5. Bernardo

Bernardo

Does anything still work in your usb ports?

6. pavlos

pavlos Thread Starter

yes all usb ports working

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

You'll need to test the drive on another system then.

8. pavlos

pavlos Thread Starter

already have, it does not see it, the boot sector is probably damaged is there a way of retrieving the data off of it, or repairing the boot sector.

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

I think I'd take it out of the enclosure and try to slave it on your system directly.

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

This is an external USB drive, right? Not internal????

11. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

If it were USB Bernardo, I don't think pavlos would be looking in drive manager.

Is it spinning? Data corruption should not effect the BIOS from seeing the drive. Also, if you've tested and it failed in a second system, it's not a corrupted BIOS. Is it an IDE or SATA drive?

12. pavlos

pavlos Thread Starter

The drive that is not showing is the internal slave drive,it is a 500 gb sata, I removed it a placed it in another system as the slave, it did not show it, there either.
    The usb was an 8gb memory stick, See OP.

13. Bernardo

Bernardo

I'd say then the drive was messed up somehow. If you need anything rescued on it, I'd download something like Seagate drive recovery and see what you might be able to save.

Of course, you're still going to have to have it mount in order to be seen.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice