second drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BillDing

:) Hi all! I just installed a second hard drive on my computer, OS is windows XP home edit. It is located as E.drive and it saids it is NTFS,how can I install my windows98 SE on this drive.Will it work that way? Will I be able to transfer files from my C.hard drive after I'm finished?What does NTFS stand for? Will I then be able to take out the E drive and install it in my pentium 1 as a C drive. :confused:

Win98 needs FAT32 to work it wont install in an NTFS volume drive. If you use a program like partition magic you can change it to FAT32, or create a FAT 32 partition to put win98se on.

NTFS

You can't install 98 on ntfs and I'm not sure whether you can convert it back to fat32, at least you can't with the 98 boot disk. :( There may be some free tools out there to do this a search through google may find something.Ithink partition magic will do it but you may have to pay for it.

Why not install it on your 'pentium 1 as a C drive' in the first place, delete all partitions, re-partition, format and install win 98 on it. Then if you want to transfer files from your XP machine on to it, hook it up as slave in the XP machine and transfer the files. XP will 'see' the win 98 OS. Then move it back to the pentium 1.

You could also network them together and transfer files between the running machines.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online