Second Hard Disk disappears randomly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dwmartin18

I just purchased a new computer recently and added the hard disk from my old computer to my new one. The problem is this: on occasion when I boot up/restart my computer the hard disk that I added sometimes does not show up (in Windows). The hard disk that came with the computer works fine and so does the new one when it appears...but for some reason it randomly disappears. The only difference in the two that I know of is the capacity and connection (the hard disk I added is IDE while the other is SATA).

Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
nVidia 6600 256mb
1 gig RAM
160 gig Western Digital HD (SATA)
120 gig Western Digital HD (IDE)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Underpowered power supply? Or perhaps a bad IDE cable? Or poor connection to the drive and/or motherboard?

dwmartin18

I think I have a 350 watt power supply but I don't remeber for sure. How powerful would it need to be?
I used that same IDE cable in my previous computer and never had any trouble so I don't think it is that but I will have try another just to be sure.

In one case I did see a HD that did the same thing when the system started to heat up, better cooling fixed it right up.

So keep your options open, and post your system specs.

dwmartin18

Ok, I figured out something. The hard disk only disappears when I do a cold boot (the computer is off). However, when I restart the disk always shows up. So it isn't random like I thought.

That was happening to me and I switched the hard drive to the other IDE cable--in other words, put it on the other cable and swapped the DVD-ROM to the cable that the hard drive was using. I never had a problem after that. That will also eliminate a bad cable as a potential problem.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Check your bios settings to see if there is an entry there to allow more drive spin up time.

Sometimes that can be a sign of an under powered power supply as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online