1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccbbtty, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccbbtty

ccbbtty Thread Starter

Hello,
    I installed a used 20G HDD to my comp but problem is my Windows XP can only detect 7.3G. My master 20G HDD is OK. Anyone have any idea on how I should solve this?

My comp spec :
    Asus A7V133
    Athlon 1Ghz
    Master HDD 20G (Quantum)
    Slave HDD 20G (Maxtor)

Thanks in advance.

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Did you re-partition and re-format it before you installed it?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

start > run > diskmgmt.msc

Does disk management show any unpartitioned space on the drive. Can you post a screen shot of disk management.

4. Spyd

Spyd

If the Disk management says that there's no unpartitioned space, check the drive for a jumper that says "Limit to 8Gb"
    If it's set, remove the jumper, and if after that you can't access the data, put the jumper in, backup, and repartition and format the drive.
    If you can see the data and use the 8Gb partition ok, try a resizing partition program like "Partition Magic" or if you are a more experienced user, you can use a free utility "Partition Resizer" at http://www.zeleps.com/ (say NO to all the installation windows when you visit this page, it's all ads and stuff, this isn't the program, you'll find the program in the download when you dismissed all these windows)

5. ccbbtty

ccbbtty Thread Starter

I have reformat it (after I installed it), i thought win XP can detect it (can it?).

Sorry left out some details, my bios can detect 20G and also my master HDD is partition to C: (10G) and D: (10G), E: is CDROM.

I expect it was a simple plug and play only.

BTW, I'm using my office PC to post this, will get the screen shot of diskmgmt at home.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice