Second Hard Disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ccbbtty

Hello,
I installed a used 20G HDD to my comp but problem is my Windows XP can only detect 7.3G. My master 20G HDD is OK. Anyone have any idea on how I should solve this?

My comp spec :
Asus A7V133
Athlon 1Ghz
Master HDD 20G (Quantum)
Slave HDD 20G (Maxtor)

Thanks in advance.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
start > run > diskmgmt.msc

Does disk management show any unpartitioned space on the drive. Can you post a screen shot of disk management.

If the Disk management says that there's no unpartitioned space, check the drive for a jumper that says "Limit to 8Gb"
If it's set, remove the jumper, and if after that you can't access the data, put the jumper in, backup, and repartition and format the drive.
If you can see the data and use the 8Gb partition ok, try a resizing partition program like "Partition Magic" or if you are a more experienced user, you can use a free utility "Partition Resizer" at http://www.zeleps.com/ (say NO to all the installation windows when you visit this page, it's all ads and stuff, this isn't the program, you'll find the program in the download when you dismissed all these windows)

ccbbtty

I have reformat it (after I installed it), i thought win XP can detect it (can it?).

Sorry left out some details, my bios can detect 20G and also my master HDD is partition to C: (10G) and D: (10G), E: is CDROM.

I expect it was a simple plug and play only.

BTW, I'm using my office PC to post this, will get the screen shot of diskmgmt at home.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online