1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second Hard Drive cloning/installation; no get.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by llOriginll, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. llOriginll

llOriginll Thread Starter

Hey all,

More noobishness here.

Basically a second SATA HDD, intending to replace my old one (250gig 5000RPM to 500Gig 7200RPM with improved cache).

Note: I refer to old hard drive as Maxtor, new as Seagate.

Thought that it'd be simple enough, bang it in, plug it in the second slot on the board and give it a PSU cable... (see image for cables in Mobo).

Booted into boot order to check that maxtor was still booting, set it to master and the seagate to slave; easy enough.

Boot up into windows, fine, but now windows doesn't detect my HDD :( I want to use this to simply clone it, but can't detect it :(

Do I need to format it? Have I missed something obvious?

Cheers for any help.

Chris

Attached Files:

2. By_Rock

By_Rock

Did you try Windows Disk Management? There should be an unallocated disk under your active primary disk.

3. llOriginll

llOriginll Thread Starter

Aha xD

That worked, I activated it and formatted it, am now cloning the disk :)

Gonna leave this up till the clone finishes in case I have any more problems.

If after the clone I disconnect the Maxtor, then boot up to check the Seagate works like normal, can I then format the Maxtor and use it as a second HDD to store stuff like music etc?

4. By_Rock

By_Rock

Sure you can. But first, make sure your all important files are in safe, then you can format and use it for your other stuffs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice