1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second Hard Drive Doesn't Show

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mariegreywolf, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mariegreywolf

mariegreywolf Thread Starter

Cannot reformat it, because it's the only hard drive with my information left on it. The one it came from was totalled and there's no way to back it up.

On startup, it recognizes that the hard drive is in. But it doesn't show up on My Computer.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Can you attach a screen shot of your "Disc Management" screen .. showing the drive ??
    Right Click .. "My Computer" >> Manage >> Disc Management

3. syrocrat

syrocrat

I am having the same problem. Was this resolved? And, if yes, how?

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

5. syrocrat

syrocrat

In My Computer > Manage > Disk Management, the drive appears as that illustrated in your last example i.e., Online and Healthy (Active).

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

:confused: And it still does not appear in "My Computer" :confused:
    Maybe a reboot ??

7. syrocrat

syrocrat

I've rebooted several times, but with no luck. Do you, by chance, know of a place where the process of opening "My Computer" is explained?

8. syrocrat

syrocrat

On looking through the MS Knowledgebase to answer my previous question, I came across "Using Group Policy Objects to hide specified drives" and am wondering if that's the culprit. Has anyone here had any experience with establishing/modifying GPOs?

9. Neutron_3

Neutron_3

How about the jumpers? I've had mine wrong before and my HD wouldn't show up. You also might try going into your BIOS at boot and see if it shows up there. It probably does, but make sure. Try a different IDE connection without another contraption on that ribbon.
    Which fingers do you type with? HP computers prefer leftys. OK, just kidding about that one.

10. syrocrat

syrocrat

Jumpers, BIOS and IDE connection are all okay ... the drive displays and can be opened from the system.adm file for Disk Management. It just doesn't display in "My Computer."

11. Neutron_3

Neutron_3

Back to the GPO question. You're referring to the option to hide specific drives?
    If so, then this link goes there. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231289
    You may have already seen this. If so, sorry.

12. syrocrat

syrocrat

Yes ... the link is what I was referring to in my previous post. And, that WAS the problem. Once the appropriate policy was revised, PRESTO, the new hard drive appeared under <My Computer>!!!

13. Neutron_3

Neutron_3

14. baldybob

baldybob

ok i have bee having the same problem with the hd but when i went to the site i realized that im more of a noob than i thought... lol. so it would be great if you guys could translate

15. syrocrat

syrocrat

If your drive displays as being "online" and "healthy" by the Disk Management tool in XP, and the drive letter assigned doesn't display under "My Computer," then you can check to make sure it hasn't been specified as hidden (and change it as well) via TweakUI, an XP MS powertoy provided by MS here: <http://tinyurl.com/2meyw>. If you're using something other than XP, but not Vista, TweakUI is likely available ... just Google it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/621732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice