1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

second hard drive not in "My Computer"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hdpaul1, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hdpaul1

hdpaul1 Thread Starter

I purchased a new hard drive as I was getting "Boot disk Failure" message. I also purchased an oem system disk as I did not own one...long story.

the system disk was not helping and I did not wat to format my "broken" drive just yet as it had many files I wanted, hence I purchased the new hard drive so I could install and copy my files from the "broken" drive to the new drive.

I succesfully installed new drive, installed my new system disk (windows XP Pro) and started computer with bad hard drive not installed. So far so good. I now have a working computer but no programs. ( I am presently using that computer).

Now I have reconfigured my old drive as a slave, double checked all internal wire connections and restarted my computer. I stopped at BIOS and checked to see that both drives were recognized. "My computer" however only shows one drive (C:). When I right click on C drive and click on hardware tab, I show both hard drives.

What is my solution please.

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Put the old hard drive back in alone as master,get what you want off of it to cd,dvd.zip etc... Then put your new drive back in alone with your new o/s. Transfer your data to it from your backups. This is only one route as there are others.

3. hdpaul1

hdpaul1 Thread Starter

The problem here that you do not know is that I cannot boot from the old drive (Boot disk Failure" is the message I get when starting up). That is the reason that I purchased the new drive. I thought I could format new drive (done) then install "broken" drive and copy files that way.

I tried repair function from the system disk at first with old drive but for some reason could not get anywhere with that.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its possible the drive's partition table is corrupt or the drive has an internal failure.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management

Does the drive appear there? What does it say about it?

File recovery software if the partition info is RAW or there's another issue with the drive: http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

5. hdpaul1

hdpaul1 Thread Starter

It says I have a C: drive and it is healthy. SHouldn't I have an F: drive with the second HD?

6. hdpaul1

hdpaul1 Thread Starter

your link brought me to some product not related. Could you tell me the product you are referring to?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There should indeed be a second drive listed in Disk Management. The fact that it doesn't show up means there's a problem at the hardware layer. Make sure its jumpered correctly and detected in the BIOS correctly - ie. size and name show correctly.

You can also try running the hard drive's manufacturer's diagnostics on it, occassionally they offer to fix the drive depending on the defect and it may just get it working again.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As above there is a high possibility that the "broken drive" has a controller hardware failure, which means it's not going to be recognised as a HDD by anything.

"Boot disk failure" also suggests that the disk has likely failed, not that the data is just corrupt. When the hardware itself has failed, no "recovery software" can work, as there is no access available to the data held on the magnetic platter(s) in the disk, either because the disk is not spinning, the heads have failed, or the electronics controlling the disk has failed.

9. hdpaul1

hdpaul1 Thread Starter

I went to "my computer" again and low and behold there is an F: drive. When i look at it's properties it says it is full but I cannot access it. If I double click it say the drive is not formatted and if I want to format it?

Is there any chance you can access my computer and look at it yourself? I have never done this but I'm willing to give it a shot.

10. hdpaul1

hdpaul1 Thread Starter

kiwi: When I go to disk manager it say that the disk is operating properly. I confused....

11. hdpaul1

hdpaul1 Thread Starter

Remote assistance....

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Disk Manager cannot "see" beyond the HDD buffer electronics. If there was a head fault (just as an example) the drive would be "seen" and it would show as working, but no data would be accessible.

The option to download the makers diagnostic program has been made above, you must know the maker as you have had the drive in your hands, so visit their website, sownload any available tools and run them. One would assume that you would have done that by now?

That *should* give you the best result available from any software.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. axis77

axis77

certain guidelines on the hardware side of things...
    1.make sure you got one master and one slave with setting jumpers in proper position, and they should both be one the same ide cable.
    2.or if you put in the new ide cable that came with the harddrive then you could make both jumpers on the drives set to cable select, then with your cable determine which one is your master and slave by the color of the cable connector. black for master and grey for slave.
    3.verify that your bios can see both drives and they have the correct storage size, (dont forget about the whole 137gb lba limitation).

15. hdpaul1

hdpaul1 Thread Starter

thanks kiwi

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice