1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second Life crashes in Windows

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by royeo, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. royeo

royeo Thread Starter

I use Windows XP Pro, SP2.

I have a machine that has an AMD 62 bit dual core, #4200 processor. 3 GB of memory, a 200 GB hard drive and a Phoenix BIOS. Version PG 6.00, date 3/30/06.

I have installed Second Life and set up an account. It seems like the install is successful but after a while, (I mean I am able to move around and explore and do things), it crashes. I start it back up and it goes to the last place and position I was in but immediately crashes. (It doesn't seem to effect Windows or any of my other apps.)

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it must adjust some registry component because it comes right back to the same position and then crashes. I have even reinstalled Windows. The account is already set up so I don't need to do that. The install seems successful but after moving around and doing things it crashes, (at a different spot).

Is there something I should do differently? Is there anything I could try?

Thanks,

royeo

2. zyper95

zyper95

Did you check the system requirements for the Second Life before installing it? Base on Secong Life website the System Recommendations are:

Internet Connection*: Cable or DSL
    Computer Processor: 1.6GHz Pentium 4 or Athlon 2000+ or better
    Computer Memory: 512MB or better
    Video/Graphics Card**:
    nVidia GeForce FX 5600, GeForce 6600, or better
    OR ATI Radeon 9600, X600, or better

Second Life is not compatible with dial-up internet, satellite internet, and some wireless internet services.

Second Life may not run on graphics/video cards other than the ones listed above. Unfortunately, if your graphics card includes any of the following words, it's NOT compatible with Second Life:
    nVidia cards that report as a RIVA TNT or TNT2
    ATI cards that report as RAGE or RAGE PRO
    ATI cards that report as RADEON 320M, 340M, 345M, or similar model numbers
    Intel
    Intel Extreme
    3DFX
    RIVA
    TNT
    SiS
    S3
    S3TC
    Savage
    Twister
    Rage
    Kyro
    MILENNIA
    most cards by MATROX
    The following cards have not been tested with Second Life, and compatibility is not certain:
    nVidia cards that report as Quadro
    ATI cards that report as RADEON IGP or RADEON XPRESS
    ATI cards that report as FireGL
    ATI cards that report as FireMV

3. zyper95

zyper95

Since XFX Geforce 6800 is not included on the recommended graphics/video card this is maybe the reason your system crashes...I suggest you contact Second Life and inquire if your video card is supported. As I posted above there were no XFX or XFX force video card included for support.

4. Amiga_Nut

Amiga_Nut

Second life and its client software, although a wonderful idea, is one of the most convoluted and buggy software packages since adobe “anything”. Memory leaks, texture cache corruption and a multitude of other problems arise from trying to keep the SL client stable. Even under the perfect conditions, (all recommended hardware and software) SL appears to crash AT LEAST once every 24 hours in MOST cases. You can install all the latest software updates for your system including DirectX, buy and install the best video card on SL’s compatibility list and you’re still not likely to see much of an improvement.

Linden Labs is going to be overrun by Google or someone else if there not careful.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice