1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second like LaCie 2 TB drive not operating

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rickdig, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rickdig

Rickdig Thread Starter

I ran the SysInfo but nothing showed up to copy thus paste. Am sending this on a different computer. My question is for my Dell Inspiron 531S operating with Windows XP. Have been using a LaCie Rugged Mini 2TB drive which still works well after 2 yr. The problem- Have purchased another Lacie 2TB drive just like the above. When plugging in the new one it ran a bit and said connected. The Lacie setup window didn't show up. The new drive shows in the device manager (as does the orig. one) but not in the menu, under My Computer or LaCie Share (H). The device manager lists as operating properly. How can I use the new one? Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Does it show in disk management
    start
    right click My Computer
    click
    Manage
    on left pane
    click disk management

if so send image of the disk mangement window showing the drive in lower pane using Paint

with window on desktop click PrtScreen key
    then open paint and paste
    select window area and click Copy
    Then click File Tab- New and then paste
    The click File tab and save as
    Save to desktop and upload to reply using
    upload a file button

3. Rickdig

Rickdig Thread Starter

It shows up under system files under drives. My original drive works well and is the same as the new one. When I plugged in the new one it ran for a while. It did not stop at the LaCie setup stage. Then it said connected. Perhaps having a like drive already on faked it out as to what it needed to do. I do not understand most of the instructions you sent. Thanks.

4. Macboatmaster

I am unsure as to what there is not to understand about this
    forget the part that follows about attaching the image just tell me what is shown on the complete entry for the drive

So open it and looking at the attached image tell me please what is shown in ALL detail for the disk identified in the lower window
    where the red arrow is
    You may have to scroll across or down to see the entry for the disk
    disk-management.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  5. Rickdig

Rickdig Thread Starter

On the Left it says Disk2 Inside the box on the right it says 1863.02GB
    Basic Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

6. Rickdig

Rickdig Thread Starter

I note that the reply scrambled the chart so lets try this Thanks
    On the left it says Disc 2, Basis, 1863.02 GB, online
    Inside the box on the right says 1863.02 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

7. Macboatmaster

and there is NO drive letter shown is that correct
    If so proceed as below
    1. THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA OFF THE DISK, but presumably there is nothing on the disk to start with as it is new

1. Open a Command Window. From the command prompt, type diskpart and press Enter. The diskpart prompt will open.
    2. From the diskpart prompt, type list disk and press Enter. A list of disks will appear in a text format. You will return to the diskpart prompt.
    3. From the diskpart prompt, type select disk disknumber (for instance, if the disk containing the GPT Protective Partition is Disk 2, you would type select disk 2)and press Enter. A message appears saying that the disk is selected. You will return to the diskpart prompt.
    4. From the diskpart prompt, type clean and press Enter. At this point the drive's partition and signature a removed. You will return to the diskpart prompt.
    5. From the diskpart prompt, type exit and press Enter. Type exit once more to close the Command Window
    6. Launch Disk Management again and to initialise the disk:
    7. right-click on the disk in question and select Initialize Disk from the drop-down menu
    8. then right click again select format and NTFS
    The drive should now be shown in My Computer

MAKE CERTAIN you choose the correct drive in diskpart - do not have the original Lacie connected so as to assist in eliminating the chance of choosing that one
    There is NO second chance in disport you must ensure you have the drive in question

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  8. Macboatmaster

Have you left the topic or are you still working on the issue
    A response is always appreciated

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice