1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second monitor black screened

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cvac0, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cvac0

cvac0 Thread Starter

Hello,

As pointed out in the title my second monitor connected via VGA to my laptop doesn't work. Earlier it was working.

Second monitor (HP W2071d) is recognized by the laptop (lenovo idea y510p. Here's a link to my laptop (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/#tab-tech_specs)

1. VGA cable and monitor works fine (tried it with another laptop). So it's probably something to do with my computer.

VGA is firmly attached.

2. Drivers are all updated

3. Duplicating screens only shows black on second monitor.

4. Extending screens shows that I can move mouse out of primary monitor into other screen.

5. When I was playing Dragon Age, once in a while fuzzy pictures would show up on my second monitor (back when I had it on duplicate. Now its on extend).

Also, I just took a screenshot of something interesting. http://i.imgur.com/oFIfO7E.png
    Originally the picture was just to show that the second monitor is detected. Notice that my second monitor is picked up in the picture. Unfortunately, the black screen is still there for me but at least my primary monitor recognizes the second monitor.

Please and thank you for any help given.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi cvac0 and welcome to TSG.

The screenshot shows that the laptop's graphics are ok, so the signal for the 2nd Monitor is probably not being sent.

Laptops usually have a key combination to switch between displays, often it's the Fn key plus one of the F keys which will probably have an icon on top that looks like a screen or maybe 2 screens.

So see if the key combo makes a difference and let us know.

3. cvac0

cvac0 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have tried that. For me it was FN F3. Unfortunately that didn't work.

4. cvac0

cvac0 Thread Starter

I forgot the mention that I've also tried changing the resolution in case the monitor didn't like it.

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, I thought you had probably tried the Fn key thing already but mentioned it just in case you hadn't.

It's strange that you can move the mouse pointer onto the 2nd Monitor.

If you have maker's software for the graphics card check that the settings are correct (if you have not already).

6. cvac0

cvac0 Thread Starter

Well I don't have Nvidia graphics card software to check for. I'll try downloading it to see if it makes a difference.

7. cvac0

cvac0 Thread Starter

Ok, so I installed graphics card software for both intel 4600 and nvidia but it was no luck.

I just tried plugging in my sister's monitor into my laptop and it doesn't work. It just means that it's definitely my laptop that's the problem haha.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Check that the Graphics drivers look ok in Device Manager if you haven't already done so.

It does look like the laptop is the problem now though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice