1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

second ram memory slot just getting a long beep

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by angie7, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angie7

angie7 Thread Starter

i have a N1996 motherboard with two slots for 184pin memory. i have purchased a new module to slot into the second slot but i just get a long beep then the beep stops, then a long beep again etc.
    i have just tried the original one in the second slot(on its own) twice, but still the beep. i have put the memory back into the first slot and it works fine.

any help would be grateful

would i need to change the bios setting, or do you think that the second memory bank is down.

2. Sponsor

3. Lance1

Lance1

How much memory are you trying to install? The max for that board is 1GB. You have to have the memory in slot one for it to function, not slot two.

4. angie7

angie7 Thread Starter

hi thankyou for the relpy. i was just installing another 256mb to it. the module aready in is a ddr 266 cl2.5 256mb (xp)
    the one i purchased from the shop to install in the second slot is ddr sdram pc2100u 32mx64 but it is just a cl2,not a cl2.5, would the cl2 make a difference.

UPDATE. i have tried the cl2 in the slot number 1 and works no problem, shall i just get another module as the two are not mixing

many thanks

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

According to the specs for the MSI N1996 motherboard, it supports 2.5V DDR PC2100 or PC1600 memory modules.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Lance1

Lance1

Install the new RAM into slot one and install the old RAM into slot two. The RAM will, or should run at the lower frequency.

7. angie7

angie7 Thread Starter

thankyou very much. i am still just getting a long beep with the new ram in slot 1 and the old 1 in slot two.
    i will see if the shop will exchange the cl2 for a cl2.5 and see if that works. i just thought that it would work but just at a lower frequency.

8. Lance1

Lance1

It could be that there not matching in that aspect, or it's just a bad stick out of the box! It happens more then it should with new hardware. Let us now if the change out works OK?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!