1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second Screen Only

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hmpilleh, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hmpilleh

hmpilleh Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an all-in-one PC and I wanted a second screen. I connect my laptop via a HDMI cable which didn't show up on my PC. I pressed the Second Screen Only on my laptop and it has now gone black. I have tried turning it on and off again, nothing is working I even tried to use to shortcut Windows tab + P then pressing down to get the option without seeing it.

None of this has worked, can someone please help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just to be complete, after pressing the down arrow to select a different option you have to press Enter. Did you press enter?

Also, have you tried booting the laptop with the HDMI cable disconnected?

3. hmpilleh

hmpilleh Thread Starter

Yes - I have tried it and pressing enter as well. I have tried rebooting my laptop without the HDMI as well.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think I skimmed over that way too fast! :( Just took it as connecting a PC to an external (or second) monitor.

But, now that I read it again, did you connect two computers via normal or regular HDMI cable? If so, you may have caused serious harm to the electronics in one or both computers. I do not know what happens in this case.

5. hmpilleh

hmpilleh Thread Starter

Thank you for your response.

It has taken me the best part of a day but, I just disconnected my battery at the back, once I did this and turned my laptop back on it worked.

Thank you.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Interesting. Have you tried with the battery again?

You're welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice