1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved second screen problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hasselaar, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hasselaar

hasselaar Thread Starter

dear smarter ppl.

Often when i Boot my pc. my second screen boots in a wierd resolution while in the settings it is still correct, so even if i change the resolution it is still verry wierd, ''i see pixels and have black bars'' if i unplug it and plug it in again it works fine.
    second screen has VGA wich is converted to DP into my pc. my main screen has HDM wich works fine.

windows 10
    gigabyte RTX 2080
    core i9 9900k
    main screen 2560-1080
    second screen 1680-1050

best regards, person in need:)

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like a converter or monitor issue. DP and HDMI are digital "smart" connections where the video chipset and the monitor can communicate to each other over the connection. VGA does not have that ability. In any case, the converter should be performing the communication if you are using an active converter (there are two types, active and passive).

You could also try updating the video drivers. But it's likely a converter issue.

3. hasselaar

hasselaar Thread Starter

i am using this converter
    https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/disp...ViKX0ZtBORYYXA9uEdRwaoSaKUW_t2TiaeRoCL6bw_wcB

so that converter might be the problem then?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    That would be my guess, especially at that price. If you can buy one at a place that has a good return policy, you could at least test a different/better one to verify.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try disconnecting and reconnecting the VGA cable you have now a few times at each end, that will clean the contacts in case the problem is simply a poor connection.

6. hasselaar

hasselaar Thread Starter

have not tried that. i do not have a cable like that laying around. but i'm guiessing it is the converter since my second screen was my main screen b4 and worked fine
    thanks for the help guys.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I edited my previous post so please have a look at it.

8. hasselaar

hasselaar Thread Starter

i'll try that now. and check in here after a view days

9. hasselaar

hasselaar Thread Starter

tied that, din't work

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Tried what ? Another VGA cable ?

11. hasselaar

hasselaar Thread Starter

found the solution!
    my pc is plugged into the wall and my screens seperate, allowing me to boot my pc without turning on screens. when i first boot my pc and then the screens it gains bad connection but if i first toggle on my screen's power supply and then my pc it works fine.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That makes sense, when the monitor is powered the PC can adjust the screen resolution to the correct value, in effect the monitor tells it what it wants.

I'm glad you fixed it. (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice