1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Second User Folder in Documents and Settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ovenready, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ovenready

Ovenready Thread Starter

Hi, my name's David

I turned on my computer today and found all my settings, my desktop icons, my favourites, my playlists in Media Player etc. were all missing. All my programs thought I was using them for the first time, it was as if I was a new user.

When I searched for a document I'd saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings/David. In fact, all my documents and pictures were there.

However, in Documents and Settings there now appears to be a second user folder called David.DAVID-6BA0C6985 that doesn't contain any of my documents or settings, and I appear to be accessing that account instead of my normal user account.

So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as. I tried to Change User but the only option was 'David' and that took me back to the David.DAVID-6BA0C6985 desktop.

I am the only person who uses my computer. I tried changing the name of the user account from 'David' to 'Steve' in Control Panel/User Accounts. This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings/David/My Documents to Documents and Settings/David/Steve's Documents. However, when I tried to change users the only option was called 'Steve' and it took me back to the David.DAVID-6BA0C6985 desktop.

This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to 'David' and Windows thinks I am 'David' but I can only log in as 'David.DAVID-6BA0C6985'. This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger, which won't let me sign in. Please help me! I would be happy to supply any futher details.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!