1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secondary Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Craigmister, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craigmister

Craigmister Thread Starter

I was having alot of problems with my hard drive, so I bought another one and decided to use the old one as a secondary on my new machine. Oh, while I was at it I incorporated a p4.
    Anyway my real problem is that I can not get my old files off my old hard drive to my new hard drive. When I try it takes forever to access anything off it and trying to run scan disk or defrag is a joke. It will sit there idel for ever and then not respond.
    All I want is to get the files I need off the secondary hard drive, then I'd be ok with formating it.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    sounds like a failing drive. You had trouble with it so you replaced it and now its giving you problems as a slave drive but everything else has changed in the system right? I had a similiar problem with a 20 gig maxtor - slow as hell but no errors at all, not even a smart failure. I had to be patient with it until i got the data off they sent it away for warranty. If your in a similiar situation formating it won't help.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try disconecting it and removing it from your machine....let it sit for a couple of days....then try it again when it's cold.....I just pulled some files off a failing 30 gig Maxtor drive the same way......once it heated back up, same slow accessing problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice