1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

secondary harddisk problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zeke_javik, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke_javik

zeke_javik Thread Starter

hi,
    i recently got an additional 160 gb harddisk for my old pc.... and made my older 40 gb hd into the secondary drive... i have windows xp system
    the older drive has 4 partitions... wen i check in MY COMPUTER the 4th partition in the secondary drive is shown as 6.91 gb... with free space of 1.11 gb... earlier, ie after the drives had been put in and the pc running fine, i could not access the data on the 4th part of the 40 gb older drive and even after trying with data recovery software i gave up n just formated it.... but even after the format the drive size is still being shown as..
    free space:1.11 gb
    total size : 6.91 gb..
    is der any way i can fix this problem?this 40 gb hdd is 3 yrs old,... is it possible dat it is physically damaged?..

thanks...
    zeke

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I don't think it is damaged. Go to administrative tools via the control panel, run computer management then select disk management. (Take care here) Right click on the drive that has the problem and delete the 6GB partition. You should be able to see the full capacity of the drive in unallocated space. Create a new partition using all the space and let your system format the drive. Thinks should be fine if that is the case.

If you can see your old partitions in disk management but they are displayed as unknown or something you may have formated them as dynamic volumes before. In that case it could be possible to access their data if you need to but please ask around on how to do this-sorry I don't know!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!