1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secondary HD I/O error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuiRose, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuiRose

SuiRose Thread Starter

I have a bit of a problem here... My laptop is getting on in years (3 years old, now) and has been in for repairs many times because of different problems (broken hinge, cracked screen, melted motherboard... bad times), but this is a very new error I'm seeing.

My laptop has two hard drives, a C: and a F: along with two (for some reason) "Recovery" hard drives (D: and G:). For some reason, my F: drive is having an I/O error and refuses to open. It started when I was trying to move files from my crowded C: drive and it gives me a message saying simply that it can't access that drive due to an I/O error.

Other than that, I run Vista (much to my chagrin), 2 gigs of RAM, and... well, I'll try to post my DxDiag.doc if it's needed.

What I'm wondering mostly is if there's any fix for this, and I'd like to save a "Format and Fix" approach if possible because the few files I did get onto my other drives are precious little trinkets that I don't believe I'll be able to replicate.

Much thanks in advance.

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

If it's only the recovery drive(s) which is having trouble I would format them.

3. SuiRose

SuiRose Thread Starter

Unfortunately, no; it's not one of the recovery drives.

Sorry to wall-of-text, but here's the DxDiag:(see attached now that I'm not blind.)

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice