1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secondary HD showing up as Unallocated after upgrading Primary HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wakko, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wakko

wakko Thread Starter

I have two hard drive. The main one with the OS is on a chain by itself. The second one is the slave on another chain with a DVD burner as the master. I replaced my main hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP SP2. Now my secondary HD is showing up as "Unallocated" in Disk Management. No drive letter is assigned to it.

I did realize something was weird cause when I boot off the CD to do the OS install I did see that it shows the second drive as Unallocated too. I just thought since there was just files on it that was the way it supposed to be.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to fix this? If not, is there a way to recover my files from this drive. I really don't want to lose the files on this drive.

Thanks

2. swaters

swaters

I would recommend making the second hard drive the master on the secondary IDE and make the DVD burner the slave. Then check the jumper settings on the second hard drive and make sure they're set to master (also make sure to set the DVD Burner jumpers to slave). I've had much more luck just setting drives to master and slave than using the cable select option. Finally, make sure you're using the correct IDE cable for the drive. Some older drives or IDE cables may not have the missing pin and I've had problems mixing them up.

3. wakko

wakko Thread Starter

I'll try that tonight but I don't think it would fix my immediate problem. It was just weird that everything was working fine before the upgrade. Not really sure what happened since the two drives are on separate chains.

Are there any good third party softwares to recover files or fix drive problems like this?

4. rayrozelle

rayrozelle

I had a similar occurence when I was playing with partition sizes on an externally mounted Hard drive on USB with a Partition Manager. I thought I had lost all the files. I don't remember if it was unallocated or not, but I selected the partition in Computer Manager and assigned a drive letter to it, and it all came back. Have you tried this yet?

5. wakko

wakko Thread Starter

It didn't give me an option to assign a drive letter. The only option I have when I right click on it was to create a new partition.

6. rayrozelle

rayrozelle

I still don't remember what I did when I had the same problem. But let me give you some pointers, until a real xhead can help. If you removed or reformatted your main hard drive, then you destroyed what is called the Master Boot Record, which tells the system what is on all your drives, such as the slave HD on your second IDE. The files are all still there. So don't do anything to that hard drive. There are lots of utilities around that recover partitions and hard drives. You want one that can rebuild your MBR.

Try a search on Google for starters. I'll have a look myself later.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

This thing has worked miracles. I suspect that there is a minor partition table error on that drive that prevents XP from recognizing the partition as valid.

Download this program and run it to create a boot floppy. Boot from the floppy and run: pr.exe
    from the A: prompt. Point it to your sick drive and have it scan for and repair partitions.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/APR.exe

If that doesn't work, here is another program that does similar things, but requires a bit more knowledge of the structure of partition tables. You can do more harm than good if you don't know what you are doing, but I offer it for what it is worth to you:

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/partfix.exe
    (Run: winpartnfix.exe from the A: prompt.)

If those don't help, we'll start looking at recovery options.

PS. If your machine boots OK, I'd leave the MBR alone. It has nothing to do with your second drive.

8. wakko

wakko Thread Starter

I'll try it out and let you know.

Thanks.

9. wakko

wakko Thread Starter

I let APR scan but it didn't detect any error on the drive.

When I try the PartFix.exe floppy things got a little more interesting. When I boot from this floppy it said type testdisk to start. I tried typing in winpartnfix.exe but that doesn't seem to work. so I typed in testdisk and let it scan my drives. The drive I have problem with shows up as

Disk 81 - CHS 387621 16 63 - 190782 MB (Buggy BIOS)

And when I try to Analyse it it shows up as "Partition : Read error". then when I select Quit it starts analysing the cylinder and shows up with tons of Read error.

What should I do now?

Thanks

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hopefully, it isn't a hardware failure. Sometimes, when doing things like installing an OS, a drive gets stressed a bit more than it would otherwise and fails. It would have failed anyway, and it often seems like the setup was the cause of the problem, but it is really just a matter of speeding up what would have happened anyway.

Let's get the hardware situation clarified. Download one of these and run them to do some tests on your hardware. Run the program for creating a floppy (if you want a floppy instead of a CD) and boot from it. Go to the advanced tests and run the read and write tests on the drive. Don't do the "destructive" tests since you want to save what is on the drive. See if it passes those. If it does, then we know it is not hardware.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/pccheck5.50.zip (Bootable floppy)
    http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/PCChk550ISO.zip (Bootable CD)

11. wakko

wakko Thread Starter

Now this is really weird. When I go to select the drive in PC-Check, this is what I see.

ST3200822A (200.04 GB)
    Unidentified D (200.04 GB)
    ST3200822A (200.04 GB)

I only have two 200GB hard drive connected. When I select the first one it shows up with the correct info. When I select the second one (Unidentified) it shows the capacity and the LUN as 81H. And finally when I select the third one (the drive with the problem), it shows all the info correctly except LUN which it has N/A. Could this be the problem? That the LUN isn't being assigned correctly to the drive?

When I did the read test for the first and third selection I didn't get any error. When I select the second selection the Read test failed. So is it safe to say that it's not a hardware issue?

Thanks

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

That is starnge. It almost looks like you have a second, mistaken partition table on that drive (I'm assuming it must be on the second drive since that is the one with the problem).

Did you try letting it scan and try to repair errors on that last pastition (if that information is correct and you are sure that it is your second drive)? If we can repair the partition tables, you should be able to access the drive normally.

But you may want to try these recovery programs. See if they can access those partitions at all and if they can, get all your files off. The best way to solve this is to remove the partition(s) from that drive and start fresh.

There really shoudn't be any read errors at all in those hardware tests. But sometimes an error is just a fluke. We still need to keep in mind that it could be a hardware problem.

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

Any chance you had GoBack installed on the system that drive was attached to previously?

wrs

14. wakko

wakko Thread Starter

Elvandil,

Which software should I use to repair? I didn't see any repair option to with any of the software. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong place?

Simpswr,

No, I don't have GoBack installed on my system.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Only the APR had a repair option. The PCCheck is only a series of hardware tests, and the recovery ones are for you to try to get your files off the drive so that you can repartition it.

If APR can't fix the partition, it may be unfixable. I'd suggest you try to get your files off as soon as you can and then think about repartitioning, reformatting, and seing if that drive can be used again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/305065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice