secondary IDE channel not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cjreed64

Hi, everyone! It's been a long time since I posted. Unfortunately the reason I came back is that I'm having a problem with a friend's PC. I am helping them set it up and the hardware assembly seemed to go along with no hitch. However, during the POST it says "hardware monitor found an error enter power setup menu for details." I do this and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. By doing my own Google research it seems that it is a fan. This reminded me that I noticed that occasionally the power supply fan readout went down into the red and then said N/A but soon recovered. I then checked ignore on this and it still found an error. I decided to deal with that problem later and just hit F1 to continue.

On to my main problem. Neither the DVD-ROM or the CD-RW drives are being detected. I tried my different ribbon cables and tried just one drive at a time. The lights come on the drives but the computer doesn't seem to "see" them. Both drives are Sony, and I did check to make sure that the second IDE channel is activated in the BIOS. The motherboard is an Asus with a P4 1.8 ghz and 256 mb of RAM. I got Windows XP installed by hooking up the DVD drive as the slave on the primary channel but still it doesn't detect either drive! Any help or suggestions on either problem would be greatly appreciated!

-Chris

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
HI- I think I would check the all your drive's jumpers for the right setting...some brands of hard drives work differently when there is a second drive of any type on the same cable/port....there is a single drive setting on some for this reason, and you may have to move the jumper to MASTER AND put on a second jumper, this is common with Maxtors.

.whichever is Master drive or Slave....to correspond with it's location AND position on IDE cable. Are you using the newer 80wire cables with a blue connector at one end....that is the end that goes to the motherboard IDE port. The ports as you probably have seen, are labelled both as Primary or 2ndary or 1 and 2.....and the pin 1 side is usually marked. As you probably also know,, pin1 of cable has to be at pin 1 on drive and motherboard port. Then, when you are sure you have the cables and the drives connected to what you want, enter the BIOS....get into the drive configuration area.....set them as AUTO, see if they will self-detruct, ooops I mean self-detect.....;) Most new stuff will. The manual might help with the settings bit....sometimes, you also need to clear the CMOS first and load Default settings, then go back and IDE detect, then Save and Exit....let us know if it does not work.

cjreed64

Thanks for the reply! The HDD is a Maxtor. I set the jumpers correctly and it is on the primary channel. Anything put on the primary channel works correctly. I have the HDD and the DVD on the primary channel and both work. I am going to have the CD-RW as the secondary master. (It is set to be a master) However, it doesn't detect it. I have tried both 80 and 40 wire cables for the secondary channel. The primary channel is using an 80. I tried using the default settings in the BIOS. I also tried auto-detecting them. I think I would prefer if they would self destruct. At least it is something. ;) I don't have the computer here and am going to work on it tonight. I am planning to disconnect everything and just staring at it until it either works or blows up. (actually my purpose is to see if there is anything I forgot or any pins that are bent)

Thanks again! Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

-Chris

One thing you can try is to go into Device Manager, expand the Hard Disk Controllers and highlight the Bus Master PCI IDE Controller and click on properties. Now click on settings. Under "Dual IDE Channel" use the drop down box and select "Both IDE channels enabled."

If it still doesn't recognize them try the jumpers on cable select. Finally, if cable select doesn't work, try them with no jumper installed at all.

Kilowatt

There may be a stting in the BIOS /setup area to either enable/disable the secondary IDE channel...look for setting to "both"

Sometimes in Device Manager under hard Disk Controllers, theres a setting to enable the secondary also.

cjreed64

Thanks for the replies. I have tried the setting on cable select. When they are set as master and slave does it matter which connecter they are on on the cable? I will look in Device Manager. The BIOS setting is set to both. Thanks for all the suggestions. I should be leaving to work on it in a couple of hours. I will let you know what happens.

-Chris

It usually doesn't matter using Master/Slave, however, as a rule of thumb I always have the master device on the connector on the end of the cable and the slave in the middle connector. If you use cable select both devices have to be set on CS. (You can't mix and match).:p

cjreed64

Yeah, I had both drives set to CS. :) When I have the DVD and the HDD on the primary I have to have the DVD on the end (as slave) and the HDD in the middle (as master). I just wanted to make sure this would work, but I guess there are never any guarantees.... :confused: Thanks!

-Chris

Chris
Hi stranger!
I am a bit late getting in here but I see you have gotten great advice so far. The only addition I could make is to go to MB Mfg. and see if there are reported problems and updates available. Of course the other possibility if nothing is recognized in any configuration on that channel is a defective MB which in that case would have you chasing the wind!

Take care and don't be a stranger!

Dave

cjreed64

Hey, Dave! Good to see you. I am heading over to my friend's house now to try some of the things you guys said. I will check the Asus site first. Maybe I can give them a call if all else fails? Thanks!

-Chris

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hiya-----Sure, call them>> then "call" back here; as you know, we are always "home" (AND, we have the lights on! Mine are on energy-conserving settings right now...but the rest here are fully lit! :D :D :D :D :p

cjreed64

Well, everything is now installed on their computer (drivers and other misc. software), but the secondary channel still isn't working. I got the other problem during POST resolved. (the fan in the power supply only speeds up when it is hot and the MB doesn't like that) I checked the secondary channel in device manager and it says it works. I guess I will email or call Asus.

I discovered another problem. The modem is found, but XP doesn't have the right drivers. It calls it a PCI device. The standard modem drivers don't work. I guess I will have to download the drivers from the US Robotics site.

Thanks again for all the help, guys!

-Chris

cjreed64

Ok, I downloaded the modem drivers. Now I should be able to get on the internet on their computer. Looking on the Asus website, I discovered other people having similar troubles (only with different boards). Asus always says to update the BIOS. Should I try this? Thanks!

-Chris

cjreed64

YES!!!!! Read this!!! Not only is that the exact same board it also has LAN and is in an Antec case. Now all I have to do is follow those instructions!

-Chris

Chris
Seems you found your answer! Good for you!
Lets us know if that was the ultimate fix!

Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts