1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secondary IDE Channel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joegii, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joegii

Joegii Thread Starter

I recently installed 128 mb RAM in the last open slot. Now I can't see my 2 CD drives. They are both tied to the Secondary IDE. I removed the cover again to make sure the plugs on the IDE cables were in all the way, and they were. When I go to Device Manager, under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers", it list the Intel Master IDE controller and the Primary IDE Channel. It no longer list the Secondary IDE channel. Any ideas?

2. wedor

wedor

What Operating sytem are you using? Windows? which version?

3. Joegii

Joegii Thread Starter

I'm using Windows XP on a Dell Dimension XPS R450

4. brianF

brianF

do you see the drives listed on boot, you should see them recognized by bios on boot up.

Try a different cable, they do go bad.

You could also try add remove hardware in control panel to try and reinstall the drives if they are recognized at boot.

5. Monk_

Monk_

If you can, boot and go into BIOS. Look for IDE Configuration or something similar and be sure that both Controllers are enabled. I have seen this problem before on a Dell.

6. Joegii

Joegii Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. At boot-up, only the keyboard and mouse are recognized now. I went into setup and verified that the IDE Configuration shows that the IDE controller is set to "both". The Primary IDE Master shows my hard drive. The other 3 say "none". I have a ZIP drive on the primary slave cable (not recognized at boot-up but working fine), and CD-ROM and CD-RW drives as the secondary master and slave. Can use any help!!!!

7. brianF

brianF

can you set the secondarys for auto detect or cdrom.
    If that doesn't work I would try another ide cable after insuring that the current cable is fitted tight with the red stripe to pin 1 on the drives, also check the back of the roms, make sure a jumper didn't fall off. One needs to be jumpered master the other slave

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

try uninstalling the 128MB in the last slot and see if everything goes back to normal.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice