1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

secondary ultra ATA controller has been disabled coe=29(0x1D) how do I fix this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiltonkar, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiltonkar

chiltonkar Thread Starter

Saturday life was good, Sunday it was not. I turned on my computer and noticed that neither my CD nor my CD burner were being recognized as drives in the "My computer" section. Then, I could not get my printer, scanner or anything else that is peripheral to be recognized or work. I could not even save files to my Archos player as a backup, the computer said it could not write to this drive, but I was able to save either thing to my D: drive (an old 4 G second hard drive that acts as a storage folder)

I checked system information at the only error I saw was:

"Secondary Ultra ATA Controller
    hdc
    This Device Has a Problem: Code=29 (0x1D)
    This device has been disabled in the hardware. In order to use this device,
    you must re-enable the hardware. See your hardware documentation for details.
    Alloc resources: Logical Configuration 0
    Driver: ESDI_506.pdr 5/11/1998 8:1 AM Size: 24406
    INTELATA.MPD 3/31/2000 0:0 PM Size: 85504

Does anyone know what happened? Did I get attacked by a virus? I have Kazaa - did it finally get me in the end. And more importantly how do I fix this?

I have done a format c: before, reformatted my hard drive and reloaded windows, but with my CD player not working or being recognized I don't know how I can do this.

I have two hard drives C: and D: (the second hard drive acts more like a large storage folder)

Thank you in advance

Kar

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try removing the device with the error from Device Manager and reboot.

We really can't tell you if you have a virus. Do you have any antivirus software installed? You can do a free scan here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

In Safe Mode, lots of stuff doesn't work, like CD-ROM's and USB.

You can also download the latest Intel Chipset INF and Intel Application Accelerator - these are drivers for the motherboard chipset and IDE chipset.

Select Chipset Software and select those two downloads. Install the INF first, accelerator second.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice