1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secret recordings in Appdata folder. Im tracked?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Conseal, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Conseal

Conseal Thread Starter

Hello, my name is Andrej,
    I am new to this forum and Im used to solve pc problems myself, but something recently happened to me that really scared me. I noticed recently I have like 70GB less of space on my C: drive, where I keep only Windows 7- my operating system. I went to investigate and found out that my AppData folder in User folder has over 60GB. I checked what is so big and found folder "audio" (C:\Users\Conseal\AppData\Roaming\audio\) that was 60GB. I opened the folder and it contained recordings in .wav .

They were recordings since 29.10.2018 till this day 4.1.2019 recorded on my laptop. In total it was 3300 files, some of 3:00 minutes lenght some of 5:00 lenght, pretty much random lenghts. I live with my flatmate, when we checked on his computer, he had recordings aswell but slightly different. As we spent together time in living room with our laptops working or playing games, most of the recordings are same. Im really shocked that my own laptop is recording me wihout me even knowing about it.

I use avast antivirus plus I have anti-malware + anti-spyware and nothing has been found. I googled but havent found anything, thats why I am desperate and I begging for help. Can someone please explain me what does this all mean? Is someone tracking me? Can I report it? Please help me!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Have you tried playing the wav files ? What was recorded ?

3. Conseal

Conseal Thread Starter

Yeah its me and my and flatmate talking, its from microphone of the laptop, external voices nothing FROM computer.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Then you just may have let the mike open it recorded you and flatmate

5. Conseal

Conseal Thread Starter

Man, I thought this is serious tech forum......

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    It is, you have not given us much to go either?

7. Conseal

Conseal Thread Starter

Then ask what u need I am willing to provide everything. I dunno what to add more, but I would like to mention I am advanced user, so just shoot. After I deleted the folder its still being created. I tried to track the source trough resource monitor and in disk activity when the .wav file is created it says its source is System. Please ask I can provide everything. I never experienced anything like this, its creepy that I am being recorded and its hidden in Appdata folder.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Have you tried disabling the mike to see if it still makes these recordings?

Does the properties of these files tell what program is being used to make them?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I HIGHLY doubt anyone is secretly recording you for a few reasons;

1 No one would use a .wav file for this audio. Just the size alone would make using the .wav format not practical

2 Next you claim to be an advanced user. Do you really think anyone would store the data on your machine??? That makes no sense at all

3 A much more likely explanation is that you have some chat client open while you are gaming. You posted your friend has similar recordings; that just about proves the hypothesis

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice