1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secunia spots old flash

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Nikilet, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nikilet

Nikilet Thread Starter

I uninstalled Adobe Flash 9.0 and installed Adobe Flash 10.0.

Secunia found several instances of the file Flash9f.ocx. I was able to remove all but one of them which is located in C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash. There is also a new file in there Flask10f.ocx. Windows won't let me remove this old Flash9 file. Can you tell me how to get rid of it?

2. TOGG

TOGG

There is a special uninstaller available at the Adobe site (read the instructions carefully); http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=1

Once it's run it should have removed all versions of the flash plugin, including the latest one you just installed, so you will have to replace it (or them if you use browsers other than IE). Links below;

IE version; http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/static/styx/English.html (read the instructions, you may need to be online for this install to complete properly)

Firefox, Opera etc.; http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash (this should come as an .exe file that you doubleclick on to install but check the instructions to be sure)

3. Nikilet

Nikilet Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

Thing is, I did use the Adobe uninstaller to remove version 9 before I installed version 10. I was hoping there was a more simple work around since I just hated having to uninstall and then reinstall for both Firefox and IE, especially since this method didn't seem to work the first time. If there is no other way to remove this leftover file I guess I will have to try it once again. I'll go back and read the uninstall directions again to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks again!

4. Nikilet

Nikilet Thread Starter

I used the Adobe uninstaller again then rebooted. I thought that might be the step I didn't do the first time. After reboot I installed the player for IE and then for Firefox.

Directions said to close down all programs that might be using Flash before uninstalling. I don't use messenger or anything and I also exited my BitDefender Internet Security and Win Patrol before uninstalling.

After re-installing I went to the path given previously and that Flash9f.ocx file is still there.

The only other programs in my task bar that weren't shut down were my RoboForm, Invel Viiv and my mouse and keyboard.

Can you offer any more help?

5. Nikilet

Nikilet Thread Starter

Well, I went through the whole process again in safe mode. During uninstall I pressed the"Details" and when finished it showed the file in question as removed. I restarted in normal mode and it's still there.

I went to Adobe Flash Help for instructions to remove manually. I followed those instructions and that got me nowhere also.

6. hewee

hewee

All the files for the flash for IE, Netscape, Firefox should be in the C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash folder.
    In the pass it was installed in the plugin folder so you could have it other places on your computer but I think only Netscape, Firefox did that with the NPSWF32.dll file.
    All these if they don't get uninstalled you can just delete. You may have to logon as Admin to delete the files.
    Even the older ones in the NPSWF32.dll that Secunia is pointing to just delete them if you don't have it listed in Add/Remove or Add/Remove does not delete it.

See Flash install problems - how to fix Flash player installation ...

Flash Player Uninstall program

Flash Player for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape (full standalone package)

Flash Player for Internet Explorer (full standalone package)

7. Nikilet

Nikilet Thread Starter

hewee: I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Flash Player twice tonight, once in save mode.

I have Adobe Flash Player 10 installed and it is working correctly according to the test page.

However, this old file Flash9f.ocx still resides in C/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash

I don't understand these Vista accounts and permissions very well, but I have an administrator's account and am logged in as administrator. Windows will not allow me to remove this file. I removed this file from other places just fine but for this one it tells me I need permission to do this and when I click ok and continue it blocks me from deleting it.

Now, another thing I just noticed, and this happened sometime tonight. When I go to Uninstall a Program in Vista the first three items in my list (Acrobat.com, Acronis True Image Home and Ad-Aware) do not have their icons, just a white box. When I open Acronis and Ad-Aware they appear to be functioning. Do you know why these program icons would not be showing correctly? I'm concerned that this may mean there is something corrupt.

8. hewee

hewee

I do not know anything about Vista. I am also new to XP Pro and got a new Dell Vostro a couple months back but got it with XP Pro installed. But got XP Pro and Vista both om a CD to but Vista was not installed and I am not going to install it.

Only think I can think of is you need to boot to the main Admin account. That is the main one when you first setup Vista and not any other account you made and gave Admin rights to.
    It it is like XP Pro that main Admin account does not even show up at boot up unless you go into safe mode.

Can't say what is going on with the icons either.

9. TOGG

TOGG

I remember once having a Secunia scan that said I had the both the latest and an insecure version of flash installed. I know that I had run the uninstaller and got the latest version, so I was puzzled as to what to do next.

I'm still not sure what I did to resolve it, but I think my problem was caused by an entry in my Add/Remove list for the old version, even though the program itself was no longer there. See if there is an option in Add/Remove that allows you to remove the reference to the old version (assuming you still have one listed there).

If that wasn't what I did, I may have used the Tools in Spybot to delete the entry which, I assumed, Secunia was reading as proof that I still had both installed.

I don't know if it is relevant to Vista, but Secunia shows my flash plugins in XP Home are installed as follows;

"Adobe Flash Player 10.x is up-to-date. The detected version installed on your system is 10.0.12.36, which either corresponds to or is newer than the latest secure version released by the vendor.

Installed on Your System in:
    C:\windows\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10a.ocx, and,

Adobe Flash Player 10.x is up-to-date. The detected version installed on your system is 10.0.12.36, which either corresponds to or is newer than the latest secure version released by the vendor.

Installed on Your System in:
    C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins\NPSWF32.dll"

I assume that, because the Opera and Firefox plugins are the same, your Firefox plugin would also be in the NPSWF location.

10. hewee

hewee

TOGG flash use to install the NPSWF32.dll in all the plungin folders you could have the same file in netscape firefox, thunderbird etc. Then later they changed it so you only have the one NPSWF32.dll in the C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash.
    On the NPSWF32.dll the flash will find it no matter where it is at on your computer. On old computer I had netscape 4.7 and 7.1 and firefix and thunderbird and that NPSWF32.dll was in each plugin for for the 4 programs till they changed it later and put in in the C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash.
    But I was using a batch file back then to rename the NPSWF32.dll to NPSWF32.dll.old to turn the flash on and off till later when I was only using firefox and turned the flash off with noscript or keep it from loading.
    But I see you have the file in the C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins\ folder still.
    But make a copy of the NPSWF32.dll and put it any where on your computer and rename the NPSWF32.dll in your C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins\ folder to NPSWF32.dll.old and see if you can still get the flash to work. Bet it will unless it only was able to find the file any where on your PC with Mozilla programs.

11. TOGG

TOGG

I'm not having any flash related problems at the moment so I don't think I'll move any files until I do have some!

I actually have three versions of the plugin but didn't mention the extra one in my last post in case it caused further confusion. It is also installed in the System32 location and the full details are as follows;

"Installed on Your System in:
    C:\windows\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll"

12. hewee

hewee

I know your not having any trouble.

Yes and I bet your only using one of the NPSWF32.dll because the others are from pass installs of flash when it installed in all the plugin folders. You can look at each to see the file size, version and find out if they are older versions.

Also you don't have to to delete the files but just rename the NPSWF32.dll to NPSWF32.dll.old in the other two place and only keep the one C:\windows\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll to find out if the plugin works still for each program and I bet it will.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!