1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secure Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mrtubs, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrtubs

mrtubs Thread Starter

Hi
    I am considering upgrading from Windows 7 to 8. I have run a compatibility check and the only problem seems to be that "secure boot" won't work.
    I was wondering what secure boot is, whether there is a way of making it work and whether it is even important.
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Ian

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My advice is to count your blessings. :D When you buy your next new PC that will be soon enough to deal with secure boot. It is supposed to be a security measure, but can also get in the way of other boots (e.g., another operating system).

Feel free to read here or search the web for "secure boot."

3. mrtubs

mrtubs Thread Starter

Thanks
    Would you recommend upgrading without the secure boot or would you stick to windows 7?
    Ian

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I prefer Windows 7, but would probably stick with Windows 8 if it came on a new PC. Has nothing to do with secure boot. Your computer won't suddenly grow a secure boot with Windows 7 :)

I have Windows 8 dual booted with Windows 7 on one laptop; on that machine I use the Windows 7 almost every day and Windows 8 about three times a month.

You may like Windows 8 better. The only thing I can recommend is to make sure you know how you will get back to Windows 7 if you want to after using Windows 8 for a week or two.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice