1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secure Erase and SAS Drives

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by DNI, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DNI

DNI Thread Starter

I am using Parted Magic to wipe drives via Secure Erase or Nwipe and actually have two questions.

First, my preference is to use the Secure Erase, however, it is not enabling the SAS drives I'm wiping to be active and allow me to select them to be wiped by the SE program. It sees them and lists them when I choose the SE platform, but they are faint and not active to click on. How do I enable the SAS drives to be run in SE? The system is set up for SAS and I can wipe them using Nwipe, which leads me to my second question...

When using Nwipe, it works fine, except there is no listing or identifying drive serial numbers associated with drives being wiped and I must have this information for reporting, so how do I enable serial numbers to be listed in logs? In dban, serial numbers are part of display on drives, not seeing any serial numbers in Nwipe?

I am wiping multiple drives at a time using jbod arrays...

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

I haven't used Nwipe, but from the screenshot images, it displays the device node. Since Nwipe is run from command line, you can use "hdparm -I [device_node] > wipedrive.log" in bash script before running Nwipe.

3. DNI

DNI Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try that. Logs with serial numbers would be really helpful! Still working on getting these done via secure erase, making some progress with hdparm, any help accomplishing this would be appreciated

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice