1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secure Log on Window

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ash_11, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ash_11

Ash_11 Thread Starter

Hey there.

I have two computers setup on campus for guest internet use. Both of them (One W2K sp 4 the other NT 4sp6) have IE 6 and all updates. When someone wants to go to check webmail using IE6, and they type in a user name, they should get a Secure Log on window that pops up asking for a Username and password. On both machines it takes exactly 3 minutes for this window to popup.

If you connect a laptop to the same Ethernet port, it works right away on the laptop.

Internet surfing is fast, but just this one thing takes so long. All internet settings have been set to the default IE settings. Other places on campus the window pops up right away.

This happens on all websites that require the secure log on for these two computers.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Cookies

Cookies

Is the laptop also logged in as a guest? If not, I'd check with your Network Administrator and see if he/she authenticates guest users differently.

Since the 2 guest PC's get the same result at authentication, try creating a different (non-guest) account on one of them. See if you get the same results.

Edit: Just for testing, I tried to remote into work (a secure site that uses digi certs for authentication) using both a guest account and an admin account. The guest account took 9 seconds to get in; the admin 4 seconds.

3. Ash_11

Ash_11 Thread Starter

Thanks Cookies

I neglected to mention (1.5 hours of trouble shooting and playing with different settings), Yes, I tried a local administrator account and a guest account on both pc's. Both with the same result. Both are imaged machines, that have the same image all across campus and all the other ones (including ones in the same building) work just fine. Through the webmail, there is no special authethtication with user profiles as it's internet based. The guest account is a basic windows restricted user, the local admin account is a pure admin account with a different name.

It's driving me crazy thinking about it.

4. Cookies

Cookies

Any chance the default is set to roam?

5. Ash_11

Ash_11 Thread Starter

I'm assuming you mean roaming profile? No, they are both local profiles, both accounts are not logging into a domain.

6. Cookies

Cookies

That's really odd. No wonder you're frustrated!

7. Ash_11

Ash_11 Thread Starter

Your telling me.

8. Ash_11

Ash_11 Thread Starter

Solved it:

For windows 2k, disable the protective storage service. Currently it was set to manual, and the service was not started, as soon as I disabled the service, all worked well?

For Windows NT, re-install sp 6 again. Fixed it right up.

9. Cookies

Cookies

Hey thanks for sharing. Glad you resolved it, and hopefully helped others too :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice