1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secure login problem

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Marye Heitzman, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marye Heitzman

Marye Heitzman Thread Starter

My son is at college and is running windows xp. He has started having the following problems: He can't access any secure websites, banking etc. He gets a page that says this page cannot be displayed. When he tried to run windows update it said it had encountered an error and it would not run. He has Norton Antivirus 2003, I think,( could be 2002) and he said when it runs live update everything comes up with red marks and maybe one thing might update. All of these problems just started happening. He had a problem with incredifind, but we got that removed. Do you know what could be causing this problem? I want to install and run adaware and spybot, but I am not where he is. Any one have some info?

2. Marye Heitzman

3. Marye Heitzman

I have posted several times and gotten no reply. Would someone please look at this problem and give me some ideas.

4. Marye Heitzman

5. Xephar

Xephar

Well, I thought i'd find an answer on this thread. But try checking the advanced settings in Internet Explorer to make sure SSL 2.0 and 3.0 is enabled. As well as try reseting all of the settings in the security tab. Also try this command.

Click on Start > Run
    then type in the following command minus the quotation marks. "regsvr32 softpub.dll"

It MIGHT work. if not.. then I am not sure.

6. Drakk420

Drakk420

7. dugq

dugq

Not sure exactly what the problem is, there are lots of things which can affect secure pages. However, a dodgy firewall can stop both secure websites and windows update. If he has a software firewall on the PC then I would advise uninstalling, testing and then reinstalling the firewall.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/255601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice