Secure redundant ftp server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

neilb

Hi,

I need to run a secure ftp server connected to a dsl line to allow my customers to upload data. The problem is, i cant figure out a way of creating a fully redudant server incase of failure or dsl disconnection. So i then had the idea of running 2 servers in 2 different locations each with a dsl line and using a paid for round robin dynamic dns service as offered by no-ip.com. By doing this my customers will be able to access one or the other server.

This seemed like a good idea until i realised that i could end up with different data on both servers.

To summorize, i need a secure redundant ftp that will failover to a different server if needed and can synchronise with the other server to keep one consistant set of files.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this?
Also i need this to be secure so to synchronise the data i would need to use vpn. I have a range of OS's at my disposal such as xp pro or 2003 server etc

neilb

Ok so it seems no one knows if this is possible.
Does anyone therefore know of a website that offers technical support for pc's n stuff?

Cheers

neilb said:
Hi,

I need to run a secure ftp server connected to a dsl line to allow my customers to upload data. The problem is, i cant figure out a way of creating a fully redudant server incase of failure or dsl disconnection. So i then had the idea of running 2 servers in 2 different locations each with a dsl line and using a paid for round robin dynamic dns service as offered by no-ip.com. By doing this my customers will be able to access one or the other server.

This seemed like a good idea until i realised that i could end up with different data on both servers.

To summorize, i need a secure redundant ftp that will failover to a different server if needed and can synchronise with the other server to keep one consistant set of files.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this?
Also i need this to be secure so to synchronise the data i would need to use vpn. I have a range of OS's at my disposal such as xp pro or 2003 server etc
Hi neilb,

It sounds to me that you want to have mirrored secure ftp webservers. I have worked on mirrored RAID-1 disks in the past, but never setup mirrored webservers, but the principles should be about the same, not identical of course, but similar. I would start by googling for "mirroring webservers" and researching the issues, while collecting possible advisors/resources with information on how to do it from those who may have done this before. After all, what you are talking about is not unlike mirrored download webservers commonly seen on the Internet except your focus is uploading via secure ftp.

-- Tom

neilb

cheers for the input mate, i'll get to work with google and see what i can come up with

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!