1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secure Socket Tunneling Error 1717

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rABiD_kittEn, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rABiD_kittEn

rABiD_kittEn Thread Starter

Hi! I don't know if this is specifically a Vista problem or not, so I am posting here.

Here is where I am at:

I am trying to get my XBox to share my laptop's internet connection. I know that this is possible because I have done it before, from this very laptop, with this very Vista os on it. Now, I am unable to checkmark "Allow other users..." for sharing etc. I get the error that Internet Connection Sharing failed because "the dependency service or group failed to start."

Well I found out that it was dependent on the service "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager", so I tried to start that. (It is also dependent on Telephony, but that is running). Same error. I find out that THAT is dependent on "Remote Access Connection Manager". When I try to start THAT, I get the same error. It is dependent on "Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service", which is not dependent on anything. When I try to get THAT service to start, I always get the error 1717: Interface is unknown.

I have been trying for 3 days to fix this. I am ready to throw Vista out of the Window & reinstall XP, seriously. :eek: The only suggested solution I have found so far is to do a clean start-up. I have done this, & am still not able to get these certain services running. These are my last-ditch efforts, & then Vista is gone for good for me. I have done wayyyy too much troubleshooting on this os. I have been searching & searching & there are no definite answers out there for this problem, just unanswered questions.

If you can help, I'd be very grateful...not to mention impressed!

Thanks in advance. :D

2. rABiD_kittEn

3. rABiD_kittEn

Bump. Anyone?? Bueller??

4. rABiD_kittEn

Bump...last try.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Give these fixes a try after the reset.

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
    3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
    4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
    5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
    3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
    1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter regedit and press Enter.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
    5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
    6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    8. Close Registry Editor.
    NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.
    NOTE2: (GUID) is a mnemonic for the individual subkeys, the actual text "GUID" does not appaer.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

6. rABiD_kittEn

JohnWill,

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Unfortunately, none of them have solved the problem. I did all of the steps that you suggested, & still have all of the same problems that I originally listed.

I was thinking of uninstalling SP1, but I don't get the uninstall option in Installed Updates. And, I can't seem to go back far enough in my System Restore...? It is only showing back to November for some reason, & I clicked for it to show past 5 days.

Any other ideas?

Thank you very much!
    ~rk

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What other indications do you get?

Have you considered a broadband router instead of ICS? :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!