1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

secure way to transer or send information

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ace07, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ace07

ace07 Thread Starter

i was wondering what do you guys think is the most secure way to send account information. i was doing some research and some way email is and some way it isn't i was wondering what the Pro's say about it.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi and Welcome to TSG,
    What type of "account" ? Bank account, store card or credit card?

Richard.

3. ace07

ace07 Thread Starter

i was talking about like online account information like an email account or like a forgot password email. like is that the most secure way to transfer information like passwords and stuff.

4. 1002richards

Hi,
    If you need a password re-set for your e-mail, your 'supplier' will send that to the alternate e-mail address that you'll have notified to them. If you only have 1 e-mail address I guess your supplier would do something over the phone with you having checked your ID through certain details only they and you know.

You shouldn't be sharing passwords with others by e-mail or any other way, but I'm sure that's not what you meant?

Richard

5. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Encryption?

6. 1002richards

These are two optiona for encrypted email:

sbwave email encryption
    This free service allows you to send and receive encrypted email via a web form. At the time of this writing, there are no advertisements inserted into your email. The encryption is "light to moderate", and the site advises that you should not use it for anything requiring strong encryption - that is, it is designed for personal messages and not for anything that requires strong security. You and your recipient need to have an email client that can interpret HTML email.

Hushmail Email Encryption
    This is basically a free web email service that also encodes your email using a 1024 bit public key encryption. You can encrypt your attachments as well, but there is a 1.5MB limit on the total attachment size at the time of this writing. You can only send email to other hushmail users. Your mailbox is currently limited to 3MB of space. If you need to send/receive confidential email, and can persuade your recipients to also use hushmail, you might wish to try this service.

This info from thefreecountry website.

Richard

7. ace07

ace07 Thread Starter

so then email is not a secure way to tranfer or send account info

8. 1002richards

Not generally, letter mail with some type of signature & tracking might be best if you can't do it face to face or over the 'phone.
    If you could fax and be sure the intended recipient was stood by their fax that would work.

Richard

9. ace07

ace07 Thread Starter

thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice