1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

secure wireless connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by harusame, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harusame

harusame Thread Starter

i have a wireless router (dsl connection). my first computer is connected to it through an ethernet cable (winxp sp2). i installed a wireless net adapter (netgear) in my second computer (win2k pro). the install is okay, but i'm having trouble setting up a secure wireless connection (wep and the like). i tried running the wireless network setup wizard (found in network and internet connections in control panel) in my first computer. i gave my network a name, enabled the wep. i opened the netgear configuration on my second computer and inputted the necessary fields, but nothing happened.

i can still connect to my first computer and access the net but there's no security. if you will check the networks tab (in the netgear configuration) you will see which network has security and which doesn't. mine says no security.

what step am i missing?

thanks a lot-

2. coulterp

coulterp

You have WEP enabled in both the router and the wireless adaptor cards? It's not clear from your posting that you have switched on WEP in the router.
    And you have entered the keys in both router and cards as well?
    Make/model of router and cards would useful to know.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice