1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Secure Wireless?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Spartan02, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spartan02

Spartan02 Thread Starter

I am currently using an unsecured wireless internet connection. I know that information may be visible to other parties, however when submitting sensitive information (pins, passwords, SSN, etc) if the website I am using is secure "https" and has the lock icon at bottom of page is my information secure and okay to submit even though I am on an unsecured wireless connection?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You should be alright. I doubt anyone is going to try to spoof your SSID and do a man in the middle attack on you. The ony thing you have to worry about is your general PC security. Even though that particular communication over SSL is secure, your computer is still pretty much exposed for others to jump on the same network and bang against it. You need to make sure your PC is pretty well hardened.

The other issue is with your broad band connection. Many people use unsecure networks to get free access out to the internet. That may be fine with many people but you don't know what they are doing with that access. They can be using your connection to launch hacking attacks on high profile targets....US Government for example. Or they can be using it to access closely watched websites....read kiddie pr0n. You don't want some guys banging on your door with a search warrant for your computer hardware when they trace the offending IP back to your house.

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Any particular reason you're choosing to leave your wireless network unsecured??

4. Spartan02

Spartan02 Thread Starter

In the process of getting internet hooked up for my apartment, but in the interim have been borrowing internet connections from nearby unsecured networks. Once I get the internet set up I am going to secure it w/ password protected access.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

https sites are protected but the rest of the computer files aren't.

if you don't have permission to access the wireless nets..............

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice