1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Securing Access 2003 DB [I´ve read the basics :) ]

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hqnet, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

Hi,

I am working on securing an Access 2003 database, I have followed this procedure...

http://www.jmwild.com/security02.htm

...I have created a couple of users but I can´t find a way to achieve my goal wich is to prevent some users from (at least) accessing a specific form which acts a sort of "Control Panel" from which some values can be parameterized and some statistics can be seen.

I had assumed that there would be a panel from where access to individual objects could be granted/denied and removing regular users from there would be enough to secure the form.

But so far I have only found options to GRANT access to other funcions while access to every Form seems to be a default that can´t be overridden...

Of course I have found some elaborated method to achieve this but they are overkill for my needs, is there any simple way to implement such restriction?

In case it matters, I also plan to split the DB in a MDE front-end as a following step.

Additionaly, if access to table contents could be restricted that would be a boon (in case the DB gets stolen).

Thanks in advance.
    HQ

2. OBP

OBP

Sorry I don't understand.
    Have you created 3 User Groups, one that permissions to the design, i.e. everything.
    1 for the users that can open/run the Form and table data and 1 for those that can't.
    You can then set the permissions for the database, each table, query, form report & macro.
    I normally use VBA to hide the form from the users by modifying the Menu/Switchboard that they see, so that form is not an option. That prevents the "You do not have Permission to open/run this Form" error message when they try to open a form that they do not have permission to do so.

3. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

Hi OBP, nice to see you :)

Here´s what I have done so far

• I´ve created a custom .mdw security file and joined it
    • I´ve removed Administrator account from the Administrators group
    • Created three additional users, with passwords, and joined them to groups:
      • "Devel" is member of every group, "Andy" is member of the 'data entry' group and "usuario" is member of the 'read only' group. (sorry, mine is a spanish version).

Now, I´ve reached a panel dealing with permissions in Tools > Security > groups and users permissions but there, when I select object > Form-to-protect I see I can add permissions to execute, administer, edit but there is no way to deny any permissions such as opening the form... :S

I´m attaching an image of this dialog.
    "Devel" is the owner of every object in the DB.

On a related question, later on I happen to have opened the DB in a different PC and, apparently, since it was using the PC default .mdw file the restrictions were not applying at all, surely the security does not rely merely on forcing the users to open the DB through a crafted shortcut that loads both files at launch, does it???

Thanks in advance.
    HQ.

Attached Files:

4. OBP

OBP

HQ, the permission to Execute & Edit are the ones that stop users opening and changing data in the table, administer is to allow design changes.
    If the database is truly secured it can't be opened on another computer using the System mdw.
    Did you use the Security Wizard to do the "Securing"

5. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

humm... apparently I got something wrong while following that procedure, maybe I skipped an Access restart or the creation of the secured version didn't fully complete (it was odd the lack of a confirmation at the end...)

Anyways I re-ran it and I *think* it is ok now, but I admit I find the whole implementation/configuration method a bit weird :S

Now, I have additionaly split the DB but haven't compiled it into a .mde... I've read it is recommended to do so, would you recommend me to do it? Will doing so protect/obscure the vba code behind the app? Should I do it before of after the split?

Thanks you very much, as usual.

6. OBP

OBP

I have never used .mde versions, so I can't really say, although it is recommended by many.
    You can actully hide the VBA Editor Project and password control it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice