Securing my Wireless Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sf_331

How do I go about setting a password for my wireless network, so unauthorized people wont use it without permission.
I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router (Model WRT54G).
Thanks for the Help

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you read the manual?

Log into your router thru Internet Explorer by going to its IP address. Login to routers configuration page.

All I am going to do is copy and paste from the routers manual so I am sure you can probably read it as well.

sf_331

Would the name of my wireless access be my log-in name? Reason I ask is because, i didnt set up the wireless access at my home. My parents got some guy to set it up while I was away at college and well he didnt secure it. I noticed the name of the wireless access is my initials, would the log in name be the initials also? My parents are computerstupid and dont know the ID or password,
Would I just be better of reinstalling everything?

TerryNet

Terry
The User Guide or Quick Installation Guide will include the default password for login to the router. If it has been changed, either contact the setup person or reset the router to factory settings.

Yeah i would agree, most (if not all) people should be able to easily set up an encrypted wireless network, unless its a badly sold piece of hardware.

The default login for a Linksys router is no name and a password of admin.

To set up at least WEP, log into your router
Select Wireless
Select Wireless Security
For Security Mode, select whatever you want..at least WEP
Select the level, generally I just go ahead and use 128 bit.
Select a passphrase
Generate the keys

Save the changes

Then use those same keys on your wirless computers network configuration.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online