1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

securing VPN backups

Discussion in 'General Security' started by PK-her0, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

Hi all,

i have an office with a vpn connection to my house
    my server is in the office and i run a backup using server 2008 backup (Does backup for server2008 allow you to put passwords on the backups?)
    all i backup is my important data over the vpn
    my accounting database and custom management database is backed up over the vpn

my worry is this:

if somebody hacks the server, they can easily navigate the network drive and delete the data on the server as well as on the other side of the vpn.

So how would i secure this?
    is there a way?

i do realize that my strongest defense is to have a good firewall on each end, which i hope there is as i use a netgear vpn/firewall, but you can never be sure.

i found a nice article on toms hardware

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/the-web-is-my-castle-secure-backup-over-the-internet,1384.html

which im busy reading, just wondered what your guys professional opinion was, on what you have tried...and what really works...

any info appreciated

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no substitute for backups if deleting is your main concern. Fires, floods, lightning, and all kinds of other things could make securing the data moot if you have no backups elsewhere.

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

what?

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Late to the party again, but what Elvandil is pointing out is that your server is less likely to be broken into by some external intrusion than it is to have some sort of physical issue with the server hard drive or the backup. My reading of your post is that you back up your home computer to your server's hard drive, but you don't say anything about backing up the server. The point is that you need multiple backups for your important data, and that they shouldn't be stored all in one place. Whatever backup media you use should have multiple copies, and there should always be one copy (at least) in your safety deposit box at the bank, while your other copies are stored in a vault or fire safe. I think Tom's Hardware is really giving you the same advice, but you don't say if you've implemented it.

You're wasting brow sweat worrying about unlikely means of compromising your data when fire, flood, etc. are far more common events. Physical security of your data is much more important than worrying about hackers cracking your system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice