1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security Alert for "a248.e.akamai.net" Certificate

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mdheller, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdheller

mdheller Thread Starter

Lately, every time I boot up my computer, I'm getting a Security Alert on a certificate because "the name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site."

If I view the certificate, I can see it was issued by GTE CyberTrust Global Root to "a248.e.akamai.net".

I've done some poking around on the web, and I've found that Akamai is a company that does Internet caching and that it's not uncommon for internet requests to be rerouted through an Akamai server.

However, I'm not using a browser when this happens. It just pops up as soon as the computer is booting up. So I'm thinking that some program on my computer is trying to access the internet on boot-up (possibly to check for updates), and there's this bad certificate.

My question is: How do I find the program that is causing this certificate to appear? Maybe I can reinstall it, or tell it to stop looking for updates or something. This happens every time on boot-up. If I don't accept the certificate, it reappears the next time on boot. If I do accept it, it reappears next boot anyway. Kinda annoying.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Do you have an online game installed that uses a launcher program?
    Something like ijji reactor would be an example.

3. mdheller

mdheller Thread Starter

I do have Civilization 5 installed, which uses Steam. However, Civ 5 (and Steam) have been installed for several weeks before this cropped up. Also, both the game and Steam seem to work fine (or at least as "fine" as they did before). And, while I think Civ 5 has an online option, I've only ever played against the computer. Do you think it could be Civ or Steam?

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

check your system date & time are correct

5. mdheller

mdheller Thread Starter

I have checked that, and they are correct.

6. mahendra26

mahendra26

I have the same problem - cannot figure out what is causing it. I tried to restore the system to a date before this pop up started, no joy. I am using windows 7 home edition. Any help most appreciated.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/960885