1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security Camera

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by romeoluzzi, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. romeoluzzi

romeoluzzi Thread Starter

I have a security camera in my vehicle that plugs into the cigarette lighter and sticks to the windshield via a suction cup - I'm interested in finding something similar for inside my house to be able to record what is happening outdoors. I would like to be able to stick it to my window, plug it in (preferably not battery operated) and have it record continuously onto a chip. Haven't been able to find any such hardware and would appreciate some assistance in finding something like that - assuming such an animal exists.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on getting the proper security camera for home use. If you're going to do this to monitor your house for security, don't use a cheap camera or you're just throwing away money.

The issue you're going to run into mounting a camera to a window is the inherent glare/reflections and the affect the glass will have on any IR emitter for night vision. I have Hikvision cameras and will be upgrading to the newest generation cameras from LTS which is a US based company which have their own firmware using Hikvision hardware. The optical performance of the cameras both day and night is unmatched for the price. I have one of the indoor cube cameras which is capable of doing audio. I have one in my garage. In the pitch dark, I have resolution from the camera that is just as good as the day time performance of the cheap cameras on the market. I can read the license plate off of one of my cars and can make out small objects I have laying around.

Hikvision/LTS has IP66/67 rated outdoor cameras which have the ability to record to a micro SD card. They also have motion detection to only record when something changes in a set field of view. I have 3 of their turrets mounted to the outside of my home. They've been running for about 5 years exposed to the hotest of summers and the coldest of winters without any issues. All of the Hikvision/LTS cameras can run off of PoE or you can be powered via a wallwart power supply feeding it 12V.

4. Twiki

Twiki

First Name:
    William
    On top of what ZX said don't go wireless either. I learned the hard way. I'm using Kguard system which has 4/8 cameras (mine is 4). Decent resolution and terrific night vision (always black and white). Under light it is color. It uses a DVR which I have a 1tb HDD in it.

It's dated though as I had it for years (still going) and uses a VGA monitor. I imagine that the new systems will use HDMI.

GrinHulk likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice