1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

security center and kaspersky - strange problem

Discussion in 'General Security' started by bullet, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

Hi!

I hope I can get some help from you guys here.
    I just installed a new version of Kaspersky Internet Security yesterday, and I noticed some strange thing - when I go into security center under control panel there is firewall and antivirus marked red saying not found and for firewall it says off. How is that possible? Is my kaspersky even protecting my computer then? I know under firewall in security center it says that it doesn't recognize all antivirus and firewall softwares, but that is really strange, cause I've been using Kaspersky for about 2 years and I never had such problems with it as they now appear. My version of kaspersky is the newest one 8.0.0.454. I first installed it with a key, but thought that something is wrong with it that maybe because of that security center appears all red, but when I activated trial version the same problem appears.
    Could you guys help me with it? Now the main thing I want to know is if my program is protecting my comp or not?:confused:

2. mfletch

mfletch

Sometimes it helps if you delete the respoitory folder this will create a new empty folder,

1/ Temporarily disable the WMI service (Windows management instrumentation) in: Start >Run > type: services.msc and in there find/stop WMI
    {Right click on it and choose stop.}

2) Open My computer find this folder and delete it:
    C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository folder

3) Restart the service again and reboot your PC.

3. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

Hi! thanks a lot for your answer!
    I have a question though, when I want to stop WMI service and when I right click on it, it's not even started - I can only press start.. What should I do then, start it instead of stop it?

and that folder, can I delete it already or do I have to STOP/START wmi first?

and about the software, it's still protecting my comp even though security center shows all red or not?

EDIT: because the software still says it's blocking attacks though it says something it couldn't be blocked because the address was probably spoofed..what does that actually mean..it's blocking attacks at all then?

4. mfletch

mfletch

Hi,

First I would start the WMI service and then restart the computer and see what your security center is showing then,

I don;t know what it means by the address is probably spoofed you may find out on the Kaspersky forum

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=4

5. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

ok, thanks. will do that and come back to tell how's going.

6. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

it's still the same:(

here's what I did:
    I started the WPI service, restarted my comp and checked security center - still the same. and also when I again run the WPI command it was again turned off, is this ok?

then I deleted the folder you told me to delete, and restarted my comp and again security center is all red. What else should I do? Would it be good to turn on windows firewall instead of using kaspersky one? cause I don't even know if it protects my comp or not..

7. mfletch

mfletch

If kaspersky icon in the system tray is red with a black arrow you will be protected

You can right click the icon then click Kaspersk Internet security and at the top it will say you are protected,

8. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

yep it says that, but it bothers me that my security center shows I'm not =/
    well thanks for all your help anyway.

9. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

I got one question though, for example when I'm on the net for long time or someone is playing games on my comp, the tray icon automatically hides behind that ticker - you know like when there are some programs you don't use like printer and so on they automatically hide. so I'm curious on if my comp actually detects that kaspersky is not in use and hides it because of that, if that could mean that I'm not protected?

10. mfletch

mfletch

You will still be protected even if the icon is hidden

If you want the icon to always show

Right click on your taskbar click properties>notification area>customize>current items

Click on hide when inactive then click on show then OK

Kaspersky icon should show all the time then,

11. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

it's already ticked..that's why it's strange that kaspersky hides itself like it would be inactive..but if I really am protected anyway that's ok. thanks for all your help!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice