Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Security Concerns: Cable/DSL Routers

962 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I expect this question has probably been asked before, so I'll apologize in advance for asing it again. I looked for a thread and after going back a few pages, I didn't find it, sooo...

I have a Cable/DSL Router, which I use to connect multiple clients to my Cable Modem. I want to be able to share folders between the clients, but my Router's documentation is a little vague on whether or not the subnet is totally inaccessible from outside. It leads me to believe that is the case, but as I said... vague.

Can I use Windows File & Printer Sharing, and openly share folders with the other clients on my LAN, without worrying about it? Sharing those folders doesn't mean I'll be sharing them with the entire internet, right?

#3 ·
You might want to consider software firewalls, just to control outgoing requests to the Internet. Also, you can put only your local LAN addresses in the trusted zone, giving you an added layer of protection.

#4 ·
Depending on the router you have installed, you may be able to designate only those MAC addresses that correlate with your LAN client PC's. Make sure you include the MAC address of any print servers also.

#5 ·
I have DSL with a router. I have the entire C drive shared on the local network, using TCP/IP for everything since I'm the lazy sort. I have a number of ports forwarded (about 20, total) through the router to this computer for various reasons. I run a software firewall on this computer. In the 2 years I've used this setup, I have not had any intrusion attempts get as far as the firewall so I'd say the router is pretty good protection.

#6 ·
Port forwarding is very secure but it will do nothing for virus intrusion, etc. The forwarded ports to the internal PC's need to be secure of they are getting to that resource wide open. That is what most port scans are doing is looking for any open ports and then the attacker looks for vulnerabilities on those ports.

#7 ·
From what you all have said, it would seem that I'm no more vulnerable using shared folders than I would be if I wasn't using the sharing services. Good then.

If I've understood you all correctly, the other vulnerabilities you've mentioned would exist with or without the file sharing.

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.