1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Security Essentials

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Alos, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alos

Alos Allen Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60, x64 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1982 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA MCP67M, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 220 GB (175 GB Free); D: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Quanta, 30D1
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated
    Microsoft advises that they will no longer support my system with Security Essentials. I have two options: upgrade or buy a new computer. Cannot afford new computer. Can anyone advise?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Switch to another free antivirus such as Avira, Avast, AVG, or any number of other ones that still have support for Vista. Buying a more modern computer is also a viable option as support for Vista will be ending from many vendors in the coming months, Microsoft is ending updates in April. You'll also get the advantage of much faster hardware. There are many refurbished or used systems that are affordable.

4. Alos

Thank you very much. Is it possible to upgrade Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 10? I saw on the Microsoft site the software for $119.00, I think. Or would it make more sense to invest in a more modern computer? This one is pretty old and was meant as a temporary replacement for mine that was supposed to get repaired but never did. Thank you so much for your help.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

I would heavily advised against that. Your computer is old and not likely to be supported for Windows 10. Spending more money on Windows than a computer is worth is never the right choice.

6. Alos

I am very glad to have found this site and I thank you very much for your advice. I expect I'll be back sooner rather than later. Again, thank you.

7. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Alos:

I'm guessing you have a HP Pavilion laptop.
    If you shop around, you can find a lot of refurbished laptops that come with Windows 7 and Windows 10.
    They have newer and faster hardware than your old computer does, and they sell for about $200 - $500, depending on which one you get and what hardware it has.
    I've bought nothing but refurbished desktops and laptops from www.newegg.com and www.overstock.com and www.amazon.com since 2011, and have saved a lot of money in the process.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Alos

That's very helpful information, and I appreciate it. My original laptop is (was) an HP Compaq Presario CQ-70 (120US) Notebook that also had Windows Vista operating system that I purchased in 2008 from Best Buy for $800.00. My first attempt to become "on the internet." It's been dismantled since 2014 because I can't find a part needed to repair it (broken plastic castle). This laptop started out as a loaner while I was searching for the needed part. I ended up buying it for $75.00 and it has served my purposes. Am practically computer illiterate and don't know what to look for to replace it with. But I will go to those sites and look for something I can afford (began Social Security retirement benefits in 2014 and budget is very strict). Thank you for your help.

9. flavallee

Compaq Presario CQ70-120US Notebook PC (FS110UA#ABA)
    It has different hardware specs than what you have listed in post #1, so I'm going to safely assume that's a different laptop.
    What's the brand name and model name and model number of this laptop?
    What's the exact product number on it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. Alos

What I listed in my first post is the information that the site requested from me before I posted. I clicked on a window and the info was taken from this laptop I'm using now, which was supposed to be a loaner to use while someone I hired searched for the replacement part for my original computer, which is still in pieces. The label on the bottom of that pc reads: Product: Presario CQ70 s/n:2CE83872VB P/N:FS11OUA#ABA Below that on the same sticker is "CQ70-120US" There's another sticker below that one which reads "Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct, Product KeyQ7T78-TP6RM-47YG3-XQ998-4WKF6.

11. Alos

I hope I'm not being confusing. The laptop I'm using now is HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC, Product ID 89578-OEM-7332157-00061.

12. flavallee

There are numerous HP Pavilion dv9700 series laptops, so we need to determine which one you have.
    What's the exact product number(P/N) on yours?

13. Alos

S/N:CNF75118VB P/N: KC331UA#ABA dv9715nr

14. flavallee

HP Pavilion dv9715nr Entertainment Notebook PC (KC331UA#ABA)
    Its product specifications match what's listed in your log in post #1, so we now know which laptop you were addressing about Microsoft Security Essentials.
    cpu.JPG gpu.JPG

If you're not aware of it, Windows Vista will be going "extinct" in 2 - 3 months.
    Microsoft will stop providing security updates for it and most if not all browsers will be stopping support for it.
    So it doesn't surprise at all me that Microsoft Security Essentials will be stopping support for it.

Upgrading to Windows 7 (if you can find a legitimate copy) will cost you more than what that laptop is worth.
    I know you said you're on a tight budget, but a newer and faster refurbished laptop with Windows 7 or Windows 10 is what you need.

--------------------------------------------------------------

15. Alos

Thank you. Do you think it would be worthwhile to attempt repairs to my original laptop that I paid so much for when I was still working in 2008? Since it's using Windows Vista also, would repairing it and upgrading to Windows 7 be worthwhile?

16. flavallee

It's not cost-effective at all to upgrade either laptop to Windows 7 SP1 - which would probably cost you over $100.00 for a legitimate copy.
    You really need a laptop with faster and newer hardware.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183675