1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security Failure Audit in Event Viewer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 8dalejr.fan, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

I was looking at my Event Viewer, something I do regularly to make sure everything looks good, and there were two "Failure Audits" under Security.

• One was a logon/ logoff one that said "unknown user name or bad password".
    • The other one was an account logon attempted by the Microsoft Authentication Package.

Both of these failures said they occurred today, 1/7/06 at 1:08pm.

The only time I turned my computer on today was at 9am and again at 11:10am. That is the only time any account logging on was done, and I have the only account on the computer (administrator). The Welcome screen always says "Welcome" and loads automatically since I only have one account.

This link looks like the messages, but I wasn't doing any "Welcome Screen" logging on at the time:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305822/en-us

What could have caused those failures and are they anything to be worried about? The only other set of Failure Audits were from last week with the same two messages.

The only thing that I could have been doing at 1:08pm was checking my emails from Outlook, but I clicked "Cancel" because it was taking too long. Is that what caused it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice